Friday, January 02, 2009

Soft Pretzels


We're divided on this recipe. I prefer the Pennsylvania Dutch recipe I've used for years, and Danny prefers these which come from Alton Brown. I think these are just too salty, even before topping to be enjoyable, but I also eat very little manufactured food which I'm told is loaded with even more sodium. Mr. Eat The Blog always needs to add salt to my cooking, so I admit a bias here.

Regular readers will note I still cannot shape bread to save my life.

They certainly were easy enough. The directions assume the use of a stand mixer-I did them by hand without any difficulty. I keep thinking I should get the motor repaired on the mixer but then I remember how nice the extra counter space is and just knead the bread by hand. besides, I can beat egg whites with a whisk and my copper bowl in no-time flat, with little worry of over-beating. Anyway, just know you can make this recipe is you lack a mixer.

The recipe may be found HERE.

2 comments:

cinabar said...

Have you posted the recipe for the Pennsylvania Dutch ones?

Goody said...

You know what? I guess not. I can't believe it, because I make them all the time. Well that won't do!

I hope you like these.

Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzels:

You will need:

4 1/2 teaspoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour

soda solution:
1/2 cup warm water
2 teaspoons baking soda
Salt for coating

Dissolve yeast in water. Add salt and flour gradually until you have a dough that can be kneaded. Knead until smooth. Cover with a cloth and let rise about 30 minutes.

Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll out into lengths and shape into pretzels. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease two baking sheets (one if quite large). Dip each pretzel in soda solution and place on sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Bake 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly on racks before eating.