Friday, May 29, 2009

Pierogi and Peas




I'm still raiding the garden for pea leaves and shoots-they are just such a treat.
Link
If you cook pea leaves, just toss them in the pan in the last minute or so until they wilt-they don't require much cooking. Then, to be all fancy-n-stuff, scatter the tendrils over the completed dish before serving.

Last week, on a day where I was feeling unusually strong, I made 10 dozen pierogi. We now have a freezer filled with them, and on nights when I'm feeling less than wonderful (like, tonight for example) I can have dinner together without much work.

You can see the recipe and technique in an earlier post HERE.And HERE.These particular pierogi are filled with mushrooms, red potatoes and sage. I also put in a bit of grated hard cheese as a binder, but it really isn't necessary.

The peas are rather plain-some olive oil, dried thyme, onion and garlic. That's it.

You can eat pierogi boiled without additional frying-but why would you want to do that? Save up your calories by skipping breakfast and lunch and eat these the way they taste best-boiled, drained and fried in oil-and then covered in sour cream.

No comments: