Monday, June 29, 2009

Quick Bread With Yogurt and Olive Oil


If I couldn't have butter and milk, this cake might be a nice substitute for pound cake. Since I can have butter and milk, I was kind of unimpressed with it. I guess it was sort of a novelty thing. The boys liked it quite a bit. I substituted lemon zest for the lime, but otherwise followed the recipe, which may be found HERE.

The cherry sauce was a complete experiment, and it worked fine. Basically, I under-cooked some jam.

For the Sauce:

4 cups pitted cherries (any kind)
1 cup granulated sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup water

Pit the cherries, place them in a bowl and cover with sugar. Let stand about an hour. Once the juices begin to run, toss the cherries and sugar into a pot and add the water and lemon juice. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly until it reduces. You don't want to take this to the gelling point, so test it with a cold, metal spoon. If it dribbled off in thick droplets you're good. You don't want it to break in sheets. If it does, no big deal, you have preserves.

This makes about a pint. I cooled mine in a heat-proof casserole dish on the counter and then transfered it to an open jar that I let cool completely in the fridge before closing. Use it within a week or so. I doubt it will be around that long.

No comments: