Friday, July 03, 2009

Shortcake


I had a quart of strawberries and two perfect peaches. I haven't enjoyed a dessert this much in years. I never make this sort of thing, but Danny is currently enchanted by The Pokey Puppy, and he really thinks the fact that they eat strawberry shortcake is a hoot. I hope he doesn't want rice pudding next-I can't stand over a double boiler in July. Anyway, this turned out to be fantastic. I adapted the recipe from the good old little red book...no, not that little red book, silly! The Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950.

You Will Need:

For the cake:

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted, cold butter
2/3 + cup whole milk
Extra butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Grease an 8 inch round pan.

Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until fine crumbs. Slowly add milk and stir until you have a soft dough. I use my hand for this because it is so very easy to go from too soft to too dry with a spoon.

Divide dough in half. Pat one half into the bottom and dot with about a tablespoon of extra butter. Top with second half and bake until lightly browned-about 12-15 minutes. Remove from pan, Cool slightly and carefully split. Fill and top with fruit. Add whipped cream before serving.

For the fruit:

1 quart strawberries, sliced
2 ripe peaches
1/2 cup vanilla sugar

Cover fruit with sugar and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until fruit begins to give up juice. Stir well before using.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

Something I really love about your food photos: the backgrounds. Like in this ("Shortcake") photo, and the BGs of "Lavender Blueberry Ice Cream" and "Four and a Half."

So retro!

Goody said...

Thanks!

I don't have a very good eye for styling food, so I try to make up for that with interesting backgrounds. Most of the backgrounds are either construction paper I swipe from Danny's stash (like the lime sorbet) or printed sheets from scrapbooking stores. They cost about a buck each and can be re-used multiple times. Some are even two sided, so you get double the value.

I'm still getting used to the new camera, and everything it can do. I also have a problem with natural light (that is, there isn't much as we have a very dark, shaded home). I've tried playing around with a light box, but the best spot for my photography seems to be in the kitchen under a fluorescent light that is supposed to mimic daylight.Not great, but not terrible either.