Thursday, September 03, 2009

Bad Photo, Good Raspberry Applesauce


The first Jonathans are in the stores, so I bought a bag. I had some raspberries on hand, so in they went. The light in here is awful today-gloomy, rainy day, but trust me, the colour of this applesauce is much nicer than the photo would have you believe.

I put mine through a food mill to help get rid of some seeds, but if you don't mind them and like a chunkier sauce, just use a potato masher. Jonathan apples cook down quickly, so you shouldn't be more than half an hour away from homemade applesauce.

You Will Need:

2 quarts peeled, cored and sliced apples (measured after trimming)
2 cups water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup-1 cup granulated sugar (I prefer less, if any at all, but Jonathans are kind of tart and do better with a bit of sugar)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a large pot, combine apples, raspberries, lemon juice, and water. Simmer until soft. Add the sugar and spices and cook down until thickened, using a potato masher to break up larger chunks of apples. At this point you can call it a day, or put it through a food mill for a smoother texture.

Cool, then refrigerate in a tightly closed container. Makes roughly 3 pints.

3 comments:

Raymond said...

My favorite ingredient in this post is "gloomy, rainy day." I *LOVE* such days... L-O-V-E!!! and can't wait for such days here. I wish they'd get here for **** sake! It's still in the 90s here, and it's killing me. Gawd, of all places to live. Me, who loves overcast, rain and cool. I move to a place that's seemingly FOREVER clear, sunny and HOT. Bleah. And things cooking on overcast or rainy days is the greatest thing.

Goody said...

We had a really strange summer-hardly used the AC at all (I'm not complaining). And rain-my gosh, the rain. We've been in a drought for the last ten years or so, and this kind of rain is just so far out of the norm people don't know how to deal with it.

I'm planting my late crop of turnips and beets this weekend, so hopefully the cool damp weather will continue.

Goody said...

People keep telling me I should move somewhere warm for my health, but I'd take inflamed joints over 90 degree weather ANY day. I can't imagine living in a place without seasonal change. Florida must really suck-I don't know how people live there.