Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Green Tomato Bread


I'm still working my way through the pile of green tomatoes. This is very much like a zucchini (courgette) bread. I like the recipe because it makes two loaves (one for the freezer). I made a few changes like adding cinnamon and dried cherries, but those are very minor changes. I may grate and drain some extra tomatoes to freeze for baking breads in December, now that I know the recipe works well.

Danny had great fun helping me measure and stir the ingredients (in other words, it is so easy, a four year old can do it).

From that wonderful cookbook, From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens, Pellman and Good
(I'm serving a casserole from the same book for dinner this evening as well)

You Will Need:

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated and drained green tomatoes (I further squeezed them dry in a dishtowel)
3 cups AP flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
`1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup dried cherries (or nuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two loaf pans generously and set aside. Beat eggs well. Add the sugar, oil, salt, vanilla and finally tomatoes. Sift dry ingredients together. Gradually add to the tomato mixture. Stir in raisins and cherries. Pour into pans. Bake (about) 45 minutes (mine took 55). Cool in pans twenty minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

No comments: