Saturday, October 10, 2009

Green Tomato Chutney


This is my own recipe, but I based the proportions on other tested chutney recipes to ensure proper acidity for canning. I got four and a half pints. I went much sweeter than normal to compensate for the green tomato bite. Some people add a couple ripe tomatoes to balance it out, I did not.

You Will Need:

2 quarts green tomatoes, chopped
5 large apples, pared and cored, chopped
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup crystalised ginger, chopped
3 cups raisins
3 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon mustard seed
11/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups cider vinegar
1 large red onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, chopped

Mix together in a large pot and cook until reduced and thick. Pack into sterilised jars, leave 1/4 inch headspace and remove air bubbles. Process ten minutes in boiling water canner. Let cool five minutes in canner before removing. Let cool 12-24 hours before testing seals.

No comments: