Friday, October 30, 2009

Potato Pancakes -a New Recipe


Bad photo, good potatoes.

I think (as does the rest of the family) these are the best potato pancakes I've made. The recipe originally called for a grated apple as well, but I omitted that, as I didn't have one. It certainly didn't hurt the end result-these were fantastic. Danny, who isn't really a fan of potatoes in any form ate two.

Adapted From: A Taste of Tradition by, Ruth Sirkis

2 lbs. potatoes
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour or matzo meal
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 small onion
1 small apple (I omitted this)
Oil for frying

Peel and grate the potatoes, onion, and apple. Beat eggs lightly and add to grated vegetables. Add flour, baking powder and salt. mix well.

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a frying pan and fry, a couple at a time (don't crowd the pan) then drain on a rack. Serve hot with applesauce or sour cream.

No comments: