Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kulich



Since I can't send one through the post (they don't ship well) to Raymond, here's a virtual Kulich to enjoy. The recipe is pretty easy to do, and there's still plenty of time to bake a couple. The recipe will make 3 loaves in 1 lb. metal tins, but I made two and used the remainder for "Easter eggs." If I make the basket bread tomorrow, they will be cute inside.

Traditionally, Kulich has almonds in it. I omitted them, and added cherries (because my Danny loves them) but I don't see any reason you couldn't use currants, or citron, or whatever you like.

You Will Need:

4 1/2 teaspoons granulated dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk scalded and cooled to lukewarm
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup candied cherries, cut-up
4 1/2-5 cups (or more) AP flour
Icing sugar and water for glaze
Jimmies to decorate

Dissolve the yeast in a large bowl with the warm water and let proof. Cool the milk to lukewarm and add to bowl with sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 3 cups of flour. Mix in the vanilla and fruit. Add the remaining flour, a cup at a time until you have a dough that is no longer sticky and can be kneaded. Knead until smooth and elastic.

Place in a buttered bowl and let rise until doubled-about 2 hours. Punch down, divide in 3 parts and place in well-buttered 1 lb. tins. make sure your tins are not lined with a coating (as are tomatoes). Let rise in a warm spot until nearly doubled-about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place kulich on a baking sheet and bake 35-40 minutes or until well browned. the tops will get rather dark. Cool in pans on rack for five minutes. Carefully run a thin knife around the tin to loosen kulich and then gently slide out. Cool on racks. While still warm, coat with a thick glaze made from icing sugar and water. Decorate with jimmies.

5 comments:

Raymond said...

WOO-HOO!! Match that with some Pashka and ... oh, man. Memmmm-orr-ieeeeees... (I miss grandma!)

Raymond said...

PS: they look great, and I *love* the easter egg idea!

Goody said...

I really do wish they had a better shelf life, I'd send you one.

Danny insisted I make him a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch out of Kulich, and he loved it. I might try French toast for breakfast.

So many of the Ukrainian dishes are similar to the Russian ones-but they have to put funny little spins on to make it distinctive. The same exact dough gets used in another bread, but they shape it like a dove. I mean, it is the exact same thing.

I'm making a Greek Easter bread today with a bunch of fennel in it, but again-nearly the same eggy-butter rich dough. I guess there's only so much you can do with sweet dough.

Madeleine said...

Great to read this recipe and especially to see the photos! I like your spin on this traditional dish. I am American, but spent several years in Russia and remember these cakes so clearly during the Easter season. The last two years I've made a coffee cake for Easter that reminds me of kulich. Provided my photos of it come out okay, I'll post them and the recipe on my blog in the next week or two. (Kitchen in the Yard, http://gradkitchen.blogspot.com/)

Goody said...

Thanks, Madeleine. I'm glad people are finding the photos helpful ( a great photographer I'm not).

Happy Easter.