Monday, May 10, 2010

Som u Mileramu (Cod in Sour Cream) Gourmet, June 1972



The former Yugoslavia was quite the tourist destination in the early 70's, apparently. A large part of the issue was devoted to various regional dishes, and this one caught my eye.

When cod was on sale a few weeks ago, I stocked the freezer. Thankfully, the kid working behind the counter didn't mind wrapping each large fillet separately for me. I love being able to defrost just what I need, and this recipe was ever so quick to throw together.

I had a small amount of egg noodles in the freezer, and that's what I served the fish over. You could easily do rice, or dumplings. There's a small piece and some sauce left for Danny's lunch tomorrow, which he's requested be served over rye toast. The seasonings are simple enough to go with (nearly) anything. Again, that's my kind of cooking.

You Will Need:

1 pound of cod fillets
1 small onion, sliced
Rind of 1/2 a lemon
1 sprig parsley
1 bay leaf
4 whole peppercorns
Salt to taste
1 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used vermouth)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon flour
6 anchovy fillets, chopped
Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the cod in a skillet just large enough to hold them. Combine onion, lemon rind, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, salt, water and wine. Pour over fish. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and poach for five minutes. Remove fish with a slotted spoon to a baking dish just large enough to hold them, and strain the liquid, reserving 1 1/4 cups. In a bowl, combine the sour cream and flour. Whisk in the poaching liquid and spoon over the fish. Scatter anchovies over fish. Dot generously with butter.

Bake 15 minutes. Serve hot over noodles, potatoes, rice or really whatever you like.

No comments: