Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cooked Salad Dressing-Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook 1950


I needed something similar to Dorothy Lynch dressing for my tofu Reuben sandwiches. This turned out pretty close, in fact, Mr. ETB says he prefers it to French dressing. The recipe makes about 1 pt. I doubled the amount of paprika.

You Will Need:

1/2 cup sifted AP flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika (I used 1/4)
1 cup water
3/4 cup mild vinegar or lemon juice (I used a combination of lemon juice and cider vinegar)
4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs (I used the 2 whole eggs)
1 tablespoon butter

Mix together in a saucepan the flour, sugar, salt, mustard, and paprika. Slowly whisk in the water and lemon juice/vinegar. Over medium heat, cook, whisking until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat. With a hand mixer, beat in the eggs (very slowly) and the butter until smooth. Chill before using. The dressing can be thinned with cream or sour cream if being used for a salad. It was an excellent sandwich spread being thicker.

No comments: