Monday, March 18, 2013

Strawberry Ice Cream


(I was going for 60's cookbook photography with the teacup and paper umbrella. My mother purchased these teacups in the 60's-does that count? )



I thought I made pretty good strawberry ice cream-until I tried this recipe. Those other recipes I've posted over the years? Forget them, and bookmark this one. The ice cream does not use a custard base, which is handy if you're avoiding eggs. I'm not, but really, after tasting this batch, I don't think I'd bother with a custard based strawberry again. You do need to sieve the strawberries, but it is worth the effort.

I used the leftover berries (I bought quite a few) in a small batch strawberry jam to use as a topping. I'm kicking myself for not making a proper batch and canning it, but truthfully, I didn't expect it to be anything special-at least not with berries this time of year. Boy, was I ever wrong-they were delicious. 

From, Ice Cream and Iced Desserts by, Joanna Farrow and Sara Lewis 2000

I purchased this book at the library sale for .50 cents. Well worth the cost.

You Will Need:

4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
1/2 cup icing sugar
Juice of  1/2 lemon
1 1/4 cups whipping cream

Puree the strawberries until smooth. Add icing sugar and lemon juice, then puree again until smooth. Sieve into a bowl and chill until cold.

Whip cream until it thickens, but still drops from a spoon. Fold the whipped cream into the puree, and pour into a freezer tray. Freeze 6 hours, beating twice with a fork to break up ice crystals. You can use a mixer or food processor as well. I ignored that direction, scraped every thirty minutes with a fork until form, and then after about two hours, packed it into a plastic storage container. My freezer is running on the extra cold side, so this might not work as well for you-adjust as you see fit. The recipe says you can do this with an ice cream maker-but I wouldn't The appeal is that it does not have too much air beaten into it. Constant churning would (at least with the machines I've owned) make it a bit on the fluffy side. Again, a matter of taste.





No comments: