Saturday, January 06, 2018

One Week Down, Fifty-One to Go

Hello everyone! We've got through the first week of 2018-well done, all of you! I see the Eastern US is getting clobbered with the cold we had earlier, but soon it will all blow offshore and there's even a bit of a warming trend on the horizon. Surely we can be happy about that, even if the warmth is short-lived. Well, you're not here for a weather report, so how about some clothes and perfume?
Outfit Particulars:
Vintage acrylic twinset (60's or early 70's)-Hand-Me-Ups
Russian wool scarf-Hand-Me-Ups
70's knit acrylic skirt-Goodwill (I think)
Barely visible carved plastic earrings-Goodwill
Fragrance-The always lovely Vent Vert.
Sorry for all the stairs photos-it was kinda cold outside😀
Outfit Particulars:
1970's wool suit by Picket-N-Post-Goodwill
Vintage yellow cashmere polo neck-Marshall Field's, 80's
Vintage Monet medallion necklace-Goodwill
Vintage beads-Et Cetera, Seward NE
Kenneth Jay Lane brooch-Sarpy County Museum annual sale
Ah, the lovely Maroussa. Sadly, Mr. ETB and Danny both hate it. Fools.
Getting warmer...notice the missing jacket. It was about 19 degrees F. but it felt tropical compared to what we had earlier.
Outfit Particulars:
Pinafore dress-Goodwill
Jacket-Goodwill
Vintage 40's velvet handbag-Thrift World
Boots-K Mart
Tights-Walgreen's
Belt-Goodwill
Polo neck-K Mart
Weil, Antilope. Some time ago the lovely Beth Waltz suggested I try it, but I couldn't find a bottle I could afford. Emily-perfume expert extraordinaire came to my rescue with this lovely mini bottle. Do I like it? Yes, very much. Thanks to both of you ladies for the suggestion and the opportunity to follow up on it!
This vintage 60's coat by Penguin was a lucky find last year. It is quite warm, and I'm getting plenty of use from it this year. 
 I love the details on the pockets. The cuffs have a knit binding inside to keep out wind/snow which makes it a perfect coat for snow shoveling. Do I win at matching tights to boots? I think I do, today anyway.
 Here's a close-up look at the furry lining. Funny looking penguin if you ask me!
Outfit Particulars:
Vintage 60's polyeaster dress-Goodwill
Vintage Orlon cardigan-Hand-Me-Ups
Boots-Hand-Me-Ups
Tights-Target
Needlepoint and wood handbag-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintage Penguin coat-Goodwill
I wasn't able to find out much about Ulla. It smells like cinnamon-I don't get much else from it although it might be a jasmine bomb that I can't detect. Love the bottle though.
Speaking of owls-do you see him behind the fence? He's been chilling by the cellphone tower. Where there's owls there's...
Twitchers. Yeah, whatever. Not my thing, At all. I can't wait until Danny can drive and do this shit on his own. Ahem, moving along...
 Yeah, I know...I look  like a fucking owl. Why don't you go get me a lemming?


Outfit Particulars:
Vintage wool sweater-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintage corduroy and embroidery skirt-early 80's. Don't remember where
Vintage Geiger jacket-Hand-Me-Ups
Clog boots-New Life Thrift
Vintage handbag-Goodwill
Dargonfly brooch-Christmas gift from the boys
Marvella necklace-Filene's, 90's
Earrings-Can't remember
Hat-K Mart
Worth Dans la Nuit. This is such a beautiful violet perfume. It is subtle, and I find myself wishing it were stronger, but if you're looking for something, "Office appropriate" it is hard to imagine this one being objectionable. I love Worth perfumes-most of them anyway. Worth Pour Homme is like having a conifer shoved up your nose. 
I'll leave you with a bottle of vintage Diorissimo to remind you that spring really will get here eventually. Hang in there if you're in the eastern US. 

11 comments:

bahnwärterin said...

the penguin coat is marvelous!
but of cause i do love all the other looks too! interesting to learn about the perfumes - i´m not much into them as i only use 4711 for aaaages and a vintage "uralt lavendel"..... in a perfumery i get vapeurs.
xxxx

Radostin said...

Ah, that double plaid! Your neat brown & white outfit under the penguin coat is lovely too. Tu-witt-tu-wooooo!

Bibi Maizoon said...

Just back from Kathmandu & full of Botox & momos!
Looking very late 70's early 80's with those pantsuits, twinsets, & boots'n'tights matching.
Ulla looks familiar- It looks very 1970-77 when owls, mushrooms, macrame, ferns, pet rocks, kung fu, mood rings, Evel Knievel & Eve cigarettes abounded.
Diorissimo is an old favorite of mine, the best of 1950's fragrance- don't know why I'm attracted to all things 1950's (I certainly wouldn't have wanted to live in the '50's)

Polyester Princess said...

I see that you are embracing red again, which must mean that you are coming to terms with the fact that you look fabulous in that colour. With your ivory skin tone and dark hair, you remind me of a picture of Snow White in one of my childhood books. Other favourites include your plain pinafore dress, the 1960s Penguin coat with its fabulous lining, the brown, white trimmed polyester dress and the vintage wool sweater with the corduroy skirt. And isn't that Ulla bottle cute? xxx

Beth Waltz said...

Weil perfumes conjure up memories of shopping downtown department stores, stepping inside the operator-occupied elevators and enjoying the ride, sniffing the furs worn by the ladies riding upwards to the "Fashion Salon". I'm glad Antilope didn't disappoint you.

The matching boots and tights are exactly the shade of cranberry needed to warm up the Penguin walking coat. I'd buy it new/retail to get those knitted cuff bindings and animal print detail!

Artic cold persists here in the Midwest, hence the arctic owls gliding about. Having seen any lemmings but the owls seem to find the local rabbits tasty enough.

Emily from Etsy said...

You look so becoming in those red tights and boots!

The Ulla bottle was a mystery to me as well. On the back of the box, in very fine print, it says "Parfums Charlotte et Benjamin," but beyond that, I couldn't find any information about it online. The winsome owl is awfully cute though, and it does have that vintage '70s vibe.

It's fitting that Beth Waltz remembers riding elevators in the '70s with ladies dressed in furs. I am told that the Weil brand started out by developing fragrances to deodorize and scent fur coats.

Enjoy the (somewhat) warmer weather to come! And congrats again to Danny for shaking off his peanut allergies. It opens up a world of new experiences for him.

Mim said...

Only one week in. *cries* Actually, I'm not going to wish the year away, though I do find myself increasingly longing for the weekends.

That Ulla bottle is really cute; I'd have bought it just for that.

You always look reallt stylish, even in the freezing cold. The 70s suit and Penguin jacket are ace.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

It was great to see photos of the perfumes - most of which I hadn't come across before except for the Vent Vert and the Worth. I do like the smell of violets but I expect this scent is hard to come by as it's vintage?

As for the outfits they are wonderful; I don't think I've seen you wear the same outfit or garment twice and I've been following your blog for more than two years...the penguin coat looks so cosy; I love a pinafore dress and the dragonfly brooch was a lovely Christmas present from the boys.

Go on Goody, you love twitching, really. Only a true twitcher would have a bird doormat!!

Bobbi said...

I'm so glad that deep freeze is over (for now?) and the weather is back to a more normal winter. I don't know how you've gone out in tights - my legs had at least two layers.
Kids driving themselves is the best! It's stressful when the roads get tricky, but I'm not running all over taking them here and there like an underpaid chauffeur.
Stay warm! Only three more months 'til spring!

Goody said...

@Beate
4711 is THE BEST! I've always loved it, particularly in the afternoon when I need a bit of a lift. It layers beautifully with other perfumes. It might just be the perfect scent.

@Radostin
I do love plaid! Your comments always make me smile.

@Bibi
I always look forward to hearing about your journeys to the city. Hope the dangerous road was kind to you this time.

@Ann
Don't know how Snow White could stand living with 7 men. I have two and spend all my time picking up after them ;)

@Beth
I really do love it-thank you so much for introducing me to it. Weil has been purchased (again) and have plans to re-issue Bambou, but no word yet on Antilope or Secret de Venus.
Those bloody owls...I really do not understand why people are so enchanted by them.

@Mim
I tried sleeping through the start of the new year, but since that didn't work I'm doing the best I can with it.

@Veronica
Nope, the doormat was Danny's selection. I am definitely not a bird person ;)
Funny thing happened when I was out with Danny looking for the owl-one of the bird fanatics sees the owl fly off to go catch a mouse or something, then sees me nearby as he comes screeching up in his car and begins yelling at me for flushing it. Right, from 50 yards away, I really flushed it. The person that's terrified of birds gets close enough to a bloody owl to flush it? Unlikely.I am the LAST person you need to worry about getting too close to a bird. Still, that didn't stop the jerk from literally screaming at me and lecturing me about keeping a distance from raptors. It came right back, after eating, so I would hardly call that, "flushed." Anyway, it was a "Teachable moment" for Danny on how not to behave. I was so stunned I didn't tell him off, but it really did reinforce my impression that twitchers are fucking nuts to get that worked up over a bird. From now on, I sit in the car-I don't know which I dislike more, the birds or the birders.

@Bobbi
Yes, spring will come eventually. Hang in there.


Goody said...

@Emily
Thank you again for the Ulla-it is adorable. I should sprinkle some Antilope over my mum's old mink-might do wonders for it.
Danny has discovered most nuts aren't all that interesting, but he really likes almonds.