Monday, March 07, 2022

Chicken Curry With Prunes and Rum-Gourmet Magazine December 1971

 I'm still not feeling like I have much to say (and would almost certainly insert my foot in my mouth) so instead I'm going to share some recent cooking. I was thinking this chicken recipe would work beautifully with extra firm tofu or seitan but I haven't tried it yet. If you do, please let me know how it went. 

Back around 2007 I was looking through the small book sale at the Wahoo Public Library and came upon two bound volumes of Gourmet magazines from 1971 and 1972. They were in pristine condition and I was only too happy to hand over the few dollars being asked for them. 

They survived the tornado in 2008, and have been enjoyable reading as much for the recipes as the travel articles and such. I've been rather uninspired with cooking of late, but suspected the stack of Gourmet magazines might shake me out of my rut. 

I was grocery shopping with Mr. ETB when I mentioned we needed prunes for a chicken recipe that is made with rum soaked plums. Before he could respond, another shopper excitedly said, "That sounds really good!" I wish I could get in touch with her to let her know that it was in fact, "Really good." 

I had to make a few adjustments like using dried mushrooms (mushrooms are obscenely expensive at the moment) and using tinned hot peppers. I had a bargain package of chicken drumsticks  as our store discounts on Friday night, and if you get there in time to beat out the other deal hunters, there's plenty to be found. It varies depending on what's nearing the sell by date, but one week we came home with eight lamb chops, last week it was grass fed beef. The week I made the chicken the large package was "priced to sell" and although I rarely need a dozen drumsticks, I froze the extra for future meals. 

I threw some extra coriander at it for serving, and instead of rice went with quinoa to soak up the curry sauce. The boys really enjoyed it, and were happy enough to eat the leftovers the following day. I served it with some green beans because anyone that knows me understands my obsessive need to make certain everyone is getting enough vegetables in their diet. It also looked pretty on the plate. 

Old Gourmet magazines didn't organise their recipes the way modern mags do with ingredients and instructions easily set apart, but I trust we're all smart enough to figure that out and I'm going to post the recipe as written. 

Chicken Curry With Prunes

In the container of a blender combine 1 large onion, coarsely chopped, 1 green pepper seeded and chopped, 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped, 1 fresh red hot pepper or green pepper seeded and chopped, 3 garlic cloves, chopped, 2 tablespoons curry powder, 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed. 

Blend the mixture, scraping down the sides, until it is a thick puree. 

Cut a 3 1/2-4 pound chicken into serving pieces and coat them with the spice mixture. Put the pieces in a large dish, cover them and refrigerate overnight, turning them once or twice.

Scrape off the spice mixture and reserve it. In a large skillet brown the chicken pieces in 1/2 stick or a 1/4 cup of butter (I used margarine). With a slotted spoon transfer them to a heavy flameproof casserole. In the butter remaining brown 1/2 a pound of mushrooms, sliced. Add them to the casserole with 2 cups white veal or chicken stock, or chicken broth, 2 cups pitted prunes soaked in 1/2 cup dark rum for 1 hour, and the reserved spice mixture. Simmer the mixture, covered for 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender and stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice.  


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Hugs,
Emily

Sheila said...

That looks amazing. Our grocery stores are starting to look odd, as they run out of certain brands. Meat is insanely expensive - I'm trying to buy as much local in season veg as I can.

Vix said...

That photo is worthy of a recipe book.
I wasn't familiar with seitan and I've just looked it up, having not eaten meat since I was a baby I don't think I'd enjoy something with a similar texture but like you say, tofu - or a favourite with recent converts to vegetarianism in the UK - Quorn would work just as well. Not that I could ever get Jon near a prune! xxx

bahnwärterin said...

ohhh - that sounds and look really good indeed!!!
thank you for sharing! <3
xxxx

Polyester Princess said...

That looks seriously yummy! I love browsing vintage magazines of any kind, and the recipes are usually quite interesting! xxx

Beth Waltz said...

Those old Gourmet magazines do invite one to visit a time "when it was still good" to dine well, even luxuriously. I snap them up even when they're not in pristine condition. Your first plating is cover worthy: the greens and oranges of the chicken and beans framed by the floral border, the parsley echoing the dainty leaves of the design.

I am heartily in favor of any recipe involving rum-soaked plums.

Goody said...

@Emily
Thank you! I really want to try it with Tofu. I think it would be great.

@Vix
Seitan is very convincing. If you've ever eaten Asian style "Mock Duck" it is made with seitan. After that many years without eating meat I can see why it wouldn't be appealing. It does absorb sauces well, I'll say that for it. Better than meat in many cases.

@Beate
Thank you!

@Ann
Vintage magazines in the US had some horrifying food in the mid-century years (think things cooked in tins of condensed soup) but Gourmet magazine delivered actual cooking. For a while anyway. The last years of the publication weren't very good.

@Beth
I had a subscription to Gourmet in the last two years of the publication in the 00s and it really wasn't very good for recipes anymore. Writing was great, photography beautiful, but the recipes failed more often than they turned out and that's not why anyone subscribes-hence the "When it was good" tag.
I had those dishes (made in Japan 70s stuff) sitting in a box for years before finally putting them into regular use. I'm glad you like them.

Vix said...

I've never heard of mock duck, it sounds horrific. xxx

Señora Allnut said...

Great recipe, I love some marinated chicken and anything would taste better with the addition of some prunes soaked in rum (or armagnac!). I even tried to put some prunes in hot tea when not having any liquor on hand, and it worked!.
Sorry that mushrooms are so expensive there, they're a favourite of mine!. Same for green beans. Usually I put a massive amount of veggies in every dish!.
besos