Sunday, March 27, 2022

Owl Be Baking

 

Remember that time I baked Hoot Cross Buns? Thank goodness  Danny is past the stage of needing everything to look like a raptor. I'm trying to work out a lower-carb recipe for buns that will work for the diabetic, and I think spelt is going to be my friend here. We'll see. Good Friday is still a bit of a way off.

Okay, since everyone is fine with it, I'm going to do some outfits. Standard content warnings apply.

Still cold and damp here, and it seemed like an opportunity to wear this vintage tweed suit one more time before cleaning and packing it away. I belted the jacket hoping to look stylish rather than having it hang too large. I think it worked. Never underestimate the power of a good belt. 
The scarf is serving dual purpose accessory, and hairdo-protector when outside in the wind. I didn't spend half an hour fiddling with my hair for a wind to blow it all to hell. 


I had my fourth jab of covid vaccine on Friday, and while it made me a bit ill on Saturday, it was nothing compared to what an actual covid infection would do. I went to the public health department for my jab as they let you schedule a time, have a pleasant waiting room, and ample parking. My pharmacy can't manage to fill my prescriptions correctly, I really didn't want to stand around their chaotic environment waiting for someone to figure out the vaccine procedure for the immunocompromised category. Anyway, it all went smoothly, and I'm glad I was able to get that done. Hopefully I'll be able to get some antibodies before the next wave hits. I'm still wearing a mask (sometimes two) everywhere I go, avoiding crowds, and more or less living as I have for the past couple years. Life may have moved on for everyone else, but it definitely hasn't for people that are old, sick, or both. Meanwhile, the mayor wants to strip power from the county health department so they can't ever declare another mask mandate. I appreciate wishful thinking as much as the next person, but that's shitty public policy. 

Enough of that. What do you think of this coat I thrifted new with tags for $15.00 USD? 


That bunny looks ready to fight.

I didn't think I needed a pink raincoat, but after trying it on I quickly decided that I did. The shop had just put it out that morning. It still had tissue paper over the buckles to protect it. I wonder how long it sat in someone's wardrobe before they decided to donate it? It looks 90s/early 00s to me, but I'm not an expert. The lining is beautiful and the photos don't show how well made it is. There's nothing worse than a coat with ill fitting lining. This is just superb. We've had such a mild winter I got through most of it wearing my Burberry trench coat. Now I have a coat for spring. 

(No makeup, sorry)
The same shop had this fully lined, two piece silk outfit originally from Talbot's in what I again, think was the 90s. The tag says Made in Korea, and I don't think we've imported much from Korea since the 90s. I could be wrong. 
I can't decide if that is a pebble or tiny giraffe print, but whatever it is, I like it very much. The cuff bracelet was another recent purchase and is made of buffalo horn. 
Vintage Naturalizer shoes. Maybe a *bit* too early for spring shoes, but eh, whatever.

I had a dress like this when Danny was a baby, so I'm placing it 2004-ish. 

More vintage shoes that I just noticed could use a polishing. Ooops.

Tried matching the swirl pattern in the dress with earrings and brooch. 

I'm looking forward to watching the Oscars red carpet tonight for all the outfits, but can't promise I have any desire to watch the actual awards ceremony. I haven't seen any of the nominated films, so that does tend to make it less interesting. 

Hope you have a great week. 

























8 comments:

Emily said...

Those are such beautiful outfits, especially the swirly blue one. It's like a wedding cake with intricate frosting on top. You did a really good job finding jewelry pieces with a swirly shape to match.

I totally spaced out and didn't even realize the Oscars were happening. Wasn't it almost always held in late February? I wonder why it's so late this year. As with all things in life, it was probably a COVID-related delay. I haven't seen any of the nominated movies either, but perhaps I'll tune in just for fun.

Your owl-themed buns are super cute. Danny is going to miss your cooking when he goes to Belgium next year. Then again, I'm sure he'll take comfort in all the exciting restaurants and cafes that he's never been to. Oh, the joys of travel! : )


Vix said...

Dare I say it but those owl hot cross buns are a hoot!
The pink mac is very Spring-like and pretty and the tweed suit works well belted.
I'm gald you were able to get your second booster easily and without too much stress. There's talk of us over 50s getting a fourth jab in the Autumn, at the moment its the over 75s and those over 12 with underlying conditions being called forward. They say that 1 in 16 people in England & Wales had Covid last week but mostly its no worse than a bad cold or a dose of the flu. xxx

bahnwärterin said...

the tweed suit is just divine!!
it looks fab with the wide shiny belt, cool bag and chic boots - and i imagine you with the scarf wrapped around your head like a 1950´s diva.... just wow!
of cause you needed a pink coat for spring - this one is very stylish and will brighten up every rainy day.......
glad your forth jab went smoothly! i´m not thrilled by getting stitched with a needle - but it´s much better then catching C without any help for the immune system. but around here the dicussion of a 2.booster has died out for unknown reasons.... i guess we will need a lot of the vaccine for the thousends of refugees from ukraine - the poor people will need that even more because most live in crammed asylums.

i remember the buns! courios about the diabetic friendly version - we always try to save on carbs......

xxxxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Belting the tweed suit was a stroke of genius. It looks fabulous! I loved your pink raincoat. London Fog is a very good brand; I don't know if they're around or not. The bunny brooch made me laugh; he looks vicious...

Loved the silk two piece and the wrap dress; you've had some great finds!

Good news about your booster jab; lets hope those antibodies are proliferating as I type.

Have a great week,
xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Those Hoot Cross Buns are a hoot - very original which cannot be said from my comment as I've just noticed Vix said exactly the same :-))
The Tweed suit is fabulous, and I love the belt you added. It's hard to believe someone got rid of that gorgeous pink London Fog raincoat. I'm swooning! xxx

Sheila said...

I have traumatic memories of my mom's hot cross buns, which were neither hot, nor crossed, and only vaguely resembled buns (burnt on top, raw on the bottom). Gawd knows how she did it! :-P

Love your outfits! That tweed suit is stunning belted - I think that was a good call, both for sizing and for making it look more modern.

I used to have a purple satin London Fog raincoat and gave it away when it became too big (I lost a lot of weight ~15 years ago). Your new pink one is fabulous! I laughed at the "put 'em up! put 'em up!" rabbit brooch - he does look like he's spoiling for a fight.

Love the silk Talbots two-piece - yes, looks like mid-90s to me, with that wee shoulder pad, maybe late 90s, when they started to really disappear. Great shoes! So classic.

Oh, that blue dress! I used to have a brown one just like it! You are bang on with the date - it's c. 2004-6-ish.

I am looking forward to seeing all the red carpet (I like Tom & Lorenzo and Go Fug Yourself for their coverage), but you missed a doozy, although I'm sure you've seen a bunch about Will Smith. What an ass.

Beth Waltz said...

Naturalizer shoes and Talbot dresses --these were the investment items one used to contemplate when upgrading one's working wardrobe. Ah, those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end. Well, at least not in pj's and sweatpants in front of a remote office arrangement. That belted tweed suit is timeless, especially with those soft push-up sleeves!

Your skill in herding a scrum of spring pins (that wabbit needs watching) is a given; however, your success in sporting them on a pink raincoat is a pleasant surprise. The pattern is brown enough, and abstract enough, to fend off any sense of Barbie-dollishness. A new London Fog for $15.00 USD is paying literally a dime on the dollar, Goody. No doubt it was priced @ $150 in the 90s. Well scored, indeed!

Mim said...

That tweed suit is soooo good. The cut looks great from a distance, then when you get up close and see the colour mix...

Having had covid recently - healthy, double-vacced and boosted - it's deffo best to steer clear of it. It wasn't as bad as the last bout of flu I had, but it was unpleasant. Cases are surging here again and a number of people younger than me have got it now and it's hitting them hard too. It would be bad on top of existing health problems.

Your brooches are perfect on that thrifted raincoat.