Thursday, August 25, 2022

Lincoln, Lincoln, I've Been Thinkin'

I don't get to Lincoln, Nebraska too often, but when time permits a visit to  our capitol building is always a nice stop. So it was we found ourselves at the Art Deco treasure on the prairie for an hour a few weeks ago.

Built between 1922-1932 the building is different from other US state capitols as it is built as an office tower designed by architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue. 

From the state website:

Clad with Indiana limestone, the Capitol has a low, wide base in the plan of a “cross within a square”, creating four interior courtyards. The square base is 437 feet on a side and three levels in height. From the center of this base rises a 400 foot domed tower, crowned with the 19 foot tall bronze figure of “The Sower”. A thematic progression of ornamentation extends from the principal entrance on the north, westward around the exterior of the building and through the building’s interior. The building’s exterior stone carvings represent historic events in the 3000 year evolution of democracy as a form of government. The ornamental interior features numerous marble-columned chambers with vaulted polychrome tile ceilings, marble mosaic floors and murals depicting the natural and social history of Nebraska’s Native American and Pioneer cultures.

 

If you are interested in a more in-depth story of our beautiful capitol building, the state website has much more information (and excellent photos). It may be found HERE.

Nope. Not getting me in that lift. I'll take the stairs, thanks.
The second floor mosaics...
Original light fixtures...

The legislative chamber. Nebraska has a unicameral system where party affiliations are,( in theory anyway) irrelevant. In the past this has afforded opportunities for people from different political parties to work together. These days? Sigh.
The capitol hallways are fascinating, though it is easy to get lost if you don't know where you're headed. Mr. ETB worked there twenty years ago, and to his surprise ran into someone he knew! It was nice for him to have a catch up.
Sometimes the best parts of a building are only viewed by looking up.

The hall with busts of "Famous Nebraskans".
A nice view of the courtyard from the 2nd floor.



Made the kid pose for a photo with William Jennings Bryan, as you do. Bryan got a bad rap for being on the wrong side of the Scopes Trial, but was otherwise politically progressive. He ran for president several times, never winning. 

Couldn't resist a selfie in the restroom mirror. The stalls are marble with heavy, wooden, antique doors that I'm pretty sure are still boasting the original 1930s hardware. 



I wonder if these public payphones ever get used? 

More mosaics...
Would you look at who just crawled out of the primordial ooze (no, not the Governor but good guess)...
Even the heating grates are ornate. The capitol didn't really have proper HVAC stuff until they started working on it in the early 2000s. The windows do open, and the design of the building keeps it generally cool, though not enough for the weather we get now. So the updating of the system continues.
Most of the heat goes up there, where it doesn't matter.
Here's the opposite side of the room.

The balcony rail is carved from some sort of marble (not much info online, unfortunately) that looks like alabaster (I'm pretty sure it isn't). 

My phone isn't up to the task of photographing the light fixtures, but I tried!



That concludes our visit to the Nebraska State Capitol.


Before we leave, here's a view of a building across the street from the same time period. I believe it was originally an insurance company, though it is unclear what is in there today. The absence of signs makes me think it is government offices, but I don't really know. Not that it matters.

Close-up view...

And that concludes our (too) short visit to the Nebraska State Capitol. 











 



12 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

Thank you for the tour of the Nebraska State Capitol, which is absolutely stunning. I'm loving the attention to detail. They definitely no longer make them like that. The original 1930s hardware was made to stand the test of time, today's wouldn't even last half as long, I guess! xxx

bahnwärterin said...

art deco heaven!
the building is art indeed. absolutely stunning.
thank you for showing so many photos of it - i´m an art deco fan and do really appreciate it!
xxxx

Emily said...

Those mosaics and heating grates are beautiful! I've never seen a government building that looked so church-like. Even the courtyard is prettier than anyone would expect. It looks like the kind of thing you'd see at a nunnery.

Emily said...

P.S. I'm always tickled pink by the random things I learn from your blog.

The title of your blog post immediately made me think of an old folk song that begins, "Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking...."

Naturally, I went to Google to see if there was another version of the song that used the name Lincoln instead of Reuben, and I had a good laugh when I saw the lyrics, which are totally different from the Reuben version that I learned in grade school.

I also learned about emerald ash borers from you because your home page has had a picture of them in the form of cookies for the longest time. Well, emerald ash borers have arrived in Oregon, and when I saw the headlines about that earlier this month, I knew immediately what they were. I don't spend a lot of time outdoors, but if I see any of those emerald ash borers, I'll report them to the appropriate authorities.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

What a beautiful building! I just love Art Deco and this had it in spades. The light fixtures were wonderful and the ornate CH vents I loved it all. Thank you for the free tour!

Have a fab weekend
xxx

Beth Waltz said...

Thanks for sharing the special features you spotted looking up -- and looking down at the "primeval ooze". Your Capitol's artisans followed the tradition of the great cathedral craftsmen who thought a critter should be included amongst the good, great and beautiful.

I'll remember this trip during my next mission to a government facility that features dropping dropped ceiling tiles, yellowed metal lighting fixtures filled with dead flies and a bank of coin-op vending machines rumbling in the foyer. It, too, was built with Indiana limestone.

Señora Allnut said...

Thanks for taking us for a visit into this beautiful building!, love some art decó fabulousness, the tiles and mosaics, and obviously the light fixtures that caught your eye (I'd try to take pics too!)
Glad that the building is receiving attention and care, it's such an amazing place!
besos

Vix said...

I loved this post!
What a magnificent building. The interior is superb and the gardens and exterior look so well looked after. Isn't it amazing how much pride cities and towns once took in their municipal buildings? xxx

Sheila said...

That was very cool, thanks, Goody! I love this kind of architecture.

That ugly block of a building is a classic Brutalist-era design.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful building . It is an excellent example of Art Deco design.The mosaics are lovely. .Thank-you for the tour. Wish I could see it in person.
I am going to take the liberty to boast now about the Pennsylvania State Capitol building. that has amazing huge murals inside painted by the turn of the century (1900) Philadelphia woman artist Violet Oakley. It was a milestone for a women artist at the time and they are impressive.

There is so much pride to be had in our country and it deserves to be highlighted .

Best Wishes,
Gail from PA.

Goody said...

@Ann
There's big money in salvaging the pieces from old buildings and selling them online. I can see why.

@Beate
You're welcome. I always try to snap photos when I go but there's so much to see, I need to keep going back.

@Emily
If they get their way this whole state is going to turn into a nunnery :)
If you see an ash borer, kill it. And then, take it to your local extension office.

@Vronni
My pleasure. I love showing off all the neat stuff in our State.

@Beth
Indiana limestone gets around, eh? :)

@Monica
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@Vix
I'm sure if it were being built now it would either be all glass or some horrible vinyl siding that wouldn't withstand the first hail storm.

@Sheila
It is, but I *think* the building predates what we think of as prime Brutalist architecture. Our main library in Omaha is being torn down and it is about 50 years old and very much in that style. I'll do a post on that soon. I went and took photos before it closed.

@Gail
My husband was born in Harrisburg, PA but we've never taken Dan to visit. A trip to the capitol is definitely going on the list of things to see.

Mim said...

That is a really beautiful building - impressive all the way down to the bathrooms! Those mosaics are something special; the dino-croc creature is very entertaining.