Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sweet and Sour Salmon

Still stubbornly refusing to light the oven until the heat breaks (nothing in sight for the next ten days) I prepared a cold salad tonight. Last week, I pickled cherries, grapes, onions and carrots-so we've been enjoying them as well. Don't underestimate the appeal of a relish tray piled high with pickled fruit on a hot day-they go fast!

I did manage to get out for a couple hours very early this morning-but it was a dental appointment, so I can't really say I enjoyed myself. Thank god for 7AM appointments though-I don't think I could venture out in the afternoon. Dewpoint of 80? I didn't think that was possible north of the Mason-Dixon. Truthfully, I'm not all that bothered by the heat-and that's the problem. At some point (I think it was around the time I turned forty, and started going blind) I stopped sweating. Sounds great, but my body no longer understands how to cool off, and by the time I feel hot, it can be dangerous. Knowing this, I stay inside since I can no longer trust my body to behave properly. Yes, I'm the one sitting inside wearing a cardigan complaining the air conditioner is too cold. I never thought I'd be that person. Get the fuck off of my lawn, OK?

The recipe for the salmon comes from Kosher Cookery, Classic and Contemporary, by Frances R. AvRutic. While the sauce must be cooked on the stove top, the kitchen remained cool, and the meal was served cold over lettuce. The raisins sound strange when you read the recipe, but the end result is lovely.

You Will Need:

1 pound tinned red salmon
3 medium onions
2 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons sugar (I used 3)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vinegar (I used cider)
1/4 cup sultanas (I used regular raisins)
2 egg yolks (mine were large)

Drain the salmon. Remove skin and bones. Break pieces into large hunks and arrange in a dish (she suggests a pie plate). Slice the onions and place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Simmer until soft-about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Arrange the onions over the salmon and chill.

In a saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and raisins. Whisk in the cooking water and vinegar. Cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, temper egg yolks with a bit of the cooking liquid, then return it to the pan, whisking. Return it to the heat and cook a few minutes longer until thickened. Cool slightly, then spoon over fish. Serve well-chilled.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

Dewpoint of 80?? OMFG, I would die.

Goody said...

-and no relief for at least the next ten days of forecast.

So yesterday, I was out reaaaaaly early, and I ran into the postman on his way to work. Joking, he said: "don't you like summer?"

I thought about it, and said, "No, because living in Chicago, I always swore I'd move somewhere cooler-and now look what I got."
"It is cooler" he pointed out, "In the winter."

I hate to be the person going on about the weather, but this shit is killing me. I live miles from anything, and because of the humid, heavy air they issued an actual "ozone alert" for poor air quality. That never happens here.

Cripes, just typing this is making me annoyed-I'm going to get a dish of ice cream now.