Friday, August 30, 2024

A Post Poem (of the very worst sort of poetry)

Is it really the end of August? I might as well post these photos from much earlier in summer. Just posting photos is boring though, so humour me as I try to be less boring.


Dressed as an Edwardian at the seaside, but I haven't got a boat

But if they keep turning back our rights

I might not get to vote


 



Last year I took a chance
And planted some potted mums
They weren't expected to survive winter
But fuck it, nothing rhymes with Global Warming
You get the idea

Asters that signal disasters (see, that's better) 

They bloomed before the storm

They also shouldn't have overwintered 

But damn it

The climate is getting warm(er)


I missed osting for Canada Day

Belated wishes to our neighbours up North

It must have been 1 July

As every year that stupid CN Tower purse comes forth



I don't know why I own this bag and it really does only get used once a year for Canada Day.

Saw this in a junk shop

Among the trash and litter

Not really sure why anyone

Needs a strawberry seat for their shitter.

Someone went to Bali

And brought home some cool fabric

The dress was donated half-complete

But I just had to have it. 



I'm glad I'm not a cowgirl

I don't like riding horses

Me and gravity don't get along

when I hit the ground with forces

(Okay look, I'm not a poet and the only other good rhyme was "divorces")





I have a boring dress
Made of the dullest tan
Not much to recommend it
Except a place to stow my hands


This blouse is nothing special

I have better in the style

I don't know why I bought it

Just adding to a pile


Earrings that are roller skates

A brooch that is a pie

I'm wearing so much makeup

Why do I look about to die?!





I'm wearing too much black

I look stricken with grief

But if you look a bit closer

It is just inspired by Georgia O'Keefe

(She did wear a lot of black)

An outfit such as this

For Olympus with the gods

But I'm stuck here in Omaha

With a bunch of regressive clods (mostly)

They call this dress a peasant

The choice of the rural bred

But here in the State of Nebraska

It is a sweatshirt reading Go Big Red (football)


 

(For the record-I lived in rural Nebraska for 12 years on a farm and never saw anyone wearing a peasant dress, even ironically in town. Shhhh, don't tell the Trad. Wives)

 

I like a big necklace

To adorn my ageing neck

And a pair of faux amber earrings

Complete with fossil speck

This outfit worked for summer

The shoes are very nice

I bought them at the grocery store

At the same time I bought rice

(Seriously though, Aldi sells nice shoes!)




You can't tell my my sun-kissed-tan

I have poor hemoglobin

Don't know where all the blood has gone

But I feel somewhat downtrodden


(But put on some bright clothes and fake it)


Some days I dress on whim

Not knowing what I'll find

Or remembering when I purchased

A brooch of a cat's behind


I do enjoy a spotty frock

it keeps things nice and cheerful

If I truly dressed for mood

It might be grim and fearful


If you think that I will take

The bait of the obvious rhyme with ducks

You obviously don't know Midwesterners

And think we must be schmucks

(You knew I'd do that, didn't you?) 




Look at those little waterfowl

strung along as beads

I'm not sure if they're coots or mallards

I'm not expert at breeds 


Some will call these trousers

Others call them pants

No matter what you call them

They're perfect for a dance

At last we have arrived, 
At the last outfit for this post
Thanks for putting up with me
My brain is really toast
 
I will try to answer comments
As best that I may do
But please know that I read them
And appreciate all of you
 
Some days are a bit of a struggle
Some days are more or less
But I've never known a better cure
Than a good hat and a dress
 
You think I might exaggerate
That can't really be truth
But look at this pink confection
And take it as some proof
 
When there's not much else to look forward to, there's always getting dressed.
 
See you next time.




8 comments:

bahnwärterin said...

fabulous!
your clothes/outfits beat your poem..... :-D
life in omaha my be grim - but there a much cooler 2.hand clothes then here. although our lifes will get rough in the near future too if there will be no wonder.
i´m in love with the patio skirt and the folky blouse of red embrodery......
xxxx

Polyester Princess said...

Fabulous and hilarious! I really enjoyed this post and your round-up of Summer outfits. So much to love: the Edwardian lady outfit, the Bali dress, the cowgirl skirt, to name but a few. And that strawberry seat and accompanying poem had me in stitches! xxx

Anonymous said...

What a treat ! Always enjoy your outfits. I like the big flower power pin .I have a few I have collected over the years and love them .They are just so happy. Oh and the brown paisley (peacock ?) pants super !
Best Wishes,
Gail from the Great State of Pennsylvania.

Miss Magpie said...

Love the poem and love all the different outfits. I love your wicker bag! xx

Anonymous said...

Aaand this is why I love reading your blog! You are, frankly, brilliant. Vicky

Unknown said...

It's like you were channeling Emily Dickinson, LOL. What a great bunch of poems you have here. I especially liked the unexpected semi-rhyme of "hemoglobin" and "downtrodden" and the non-rhyming climate change poem. The inability to make that poem rhyme seems to go hand in hand with the frustration of climate change, like nothing is going according to plan, including the basic expectation that the poem end in a rhyme. Seriously brilliant!

Emily

Anonymous said...

You inspire me to look harder, though I don’t think my town has the inventory yours does. Man, that looked like a fun session. The poems set up a rhythm that grooved right along and you just do such a great job. Even the boring dress :) had panache on you. Olivia in the PNW

Vix said...

Your poems made me laugh out loud and there's me thinking "shitter" was only used in the Black Country!
Love the Grecian goddess vibe dress, the blouse that isn't all that special but pretty cool nonetheless and that groovy Canada flight bag.
I'm debating staying up late tonight, I'm dying to see Kamala Harris wipe the floor with orange boy! xxx