Monday, August 11, 2008

Old Time Wheat Bread


I was tempted to split the dough into three loaves-I'm so glad I resisted. These beautiful breads are massive and I can't wait to have a tomato sandwich on wheat.

The recipe is a bit strange in that it requires using a mixer for the first few cups of flour. The recipe comes from my trusty Better Homes And Gardens Homemade Bread Book, 1973 I made a few changes by using butter and bread flour, but I'll post it as written.

You
Will Need:

5 cups all purpose flour (I used bread flour)
4 1/2 teaspoons granulated dry yeast
2 3/4 cup water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup shortening (I used butter)
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
Optional glaze:
1 egg yolk with 2 tablespoons heavy cream

In a large mixer bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups of the all purpose flour with the yeast.

In a saucepan, combine the water, shortening, salt and brown sugar. Heat over low flame until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm.

Add liquid to dry mixture and with an electric mixer, beat 1 1/2 minutes at low speed, then three minutes at high speed. Stir in the three cups of whole wheat flour by hand. Add the rest of the white flour a cup at a time until it comes together. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rise about 1 hour or until doubled.

Punch down dough, divide in two and let rest ten minutes.

Grease two bread pans generously with butter. Fit the dough into them and cover with a towel. Let rise again until almost doubled-30-40 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush loaves with glaze if desired and bake 30-45 minutes or until hollow when rapped. I baked mine to an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.

No comments: