Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Gumdrop Bread



After Christmas, I bought two massive (and I mean, industrial sized) bags of spiced gumdrops. I don't know why. They were a dollar each. Did I mention these were really large bags of gumdrops? Right. So how many can you eat before you start thinking, "Gee, I'll bet you can bake with these."

Every year, I send my Father-in-law a quick bread for Father's Day and some cookies for his Birthday (they are within a week of each other). For at least the last decade, I've been shipping out a coconut/apricot bread, which while good, is probably getting a bit boring.

I can't be absolutely positive, but I'm guessing no one else is going to be sending gumdrop bread.

The recipe I settled on comes from Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook, 1964

You Will Need:

3 cups sifted flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I omitted these)
1/2 cup raisins (I increased these by 1/2 cup to compensate for nuts)
1 cup cut-up gumdrops
2 eggs. beaten
4 tablespoons shortening, melted (I used Crisco)
1 1/4 cup milk (I used whole)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (I omitted this)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a large loaf pan (9x5x3) with parchment (it is a pain, but worth it as the bread does not stick or over-brown).
Sift dry ingredients. Toss in the gumdrops, raisins and nuts and coat well with flour.

In a large bowl, mix the eggs, shortening, milk and extract. Beat only until combined. Add dry mixture and mix again, very lightly-you don't want to over-beat quick breads.

Pour into pan (batter is quite thick) and bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick tests done. Cool on rack. Store 24 hours before slicing.

No comments: