Friday, December 07, 2012

How to Fry a Lamb Chop

I haven't eaten a lamb chop in years, but once in a while I make them for Mr. ETB. My mother always broiled hers. I don't care for grease fires, and a kitchen full of smoke, so I fry them.

I season with salt, pepper, and a bit of thyme. I add sage at the end.

Heat a heavy pan over medium heat (I use my cast iron pan for this as it gives a really nice sear). Place the chop in the pan, and leave it alone for at least five minutes. At this point, it will probably give off some fat, so you can carefully adjust it in the pan to take advantage of the added grease. Under no circumstances should you press down on the chop.

After about 8 minutes, it should be nicely coloured, so turn it on the side and cook the fat until it browns-about 3-4 minutes. Flip it over, cook another 5-8 minutes until nearly done. Add about 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan (yeah, that's not Kosher for those of you who care-feel free to use margarine instead). When it is sizzling and bubbly, remove the chop to a plate, stir in about 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, and stir. Turn up the heat, add a good glug (yeah, that's precise) of Port, and reduce until thick. Turn the heat back down to medium, spoon the sauce over the chop, and cook and additional minute or so on each side until it is nicely cooked. These will look beautiful. Let them rest on a plate for a few minutes tented loosely with foil before serving.

No comments: