Thursday, December 22, 2016

At Last!

I bought this dress ages ago, but never wore it. I didn't want the year to run out without wearing it, so today at last, the brown formal was worn. That's part of the problem, I think. "Brown formal" doesn't really sell it the way it might have in 1972. There was always something more exciting to wear, and the dress was pushed back, back. back in the wardrobe to the land of forgotten vintage. Stop looking at me like that-it is a dress, not a baby for fuck's sake. 
Outfit Particulars:
1970's formal-Fairy Tail costumes
Vintage handbag-Goodwill
Shes-Thrift World
Brooches-Garage sale
Earrings-Garage sale
Bracelets-both Goodwill
Fragrance-Vintage perfume concentration Emeraude
Today's Cocktail
Silver King
1 1/2 oz. gin
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 dashes orange bitters
2 dashes sugar syrup
1 egg white
Shake well with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass. 
I'm off to rummage through the wardrobe for other forgotten items. We have more ice coming tonight, but by Sunday we're expecting 56 degrees F along with rain, flooding, gale force winds and every other sort of severe weather you don't see in December around here. We'll be fine-I stocked up on booze and cheese which is all you really need for an enjoyable holiday. Well, all I  need anyway. 



9 comments:

Mim said...

How about 'posh chocolate' - sounds more tempting than 'brown formal'?

Augh, your weather sounds horrible. We're due for a storm this weekend, but it shouldn't be too bad down here in the south, and the weather changes pretty rapidly across the UK, it won't last.

Vix said...

We've got 90 mile an hour winds on the way - Storm Barbara and not the after effects of our Xmas Day curry, I hope!
I love brown especially when it's combined with velvet and brocade. Fabulous.
What other gems will you unearth? xxx

Miss Magpie said...

I think you look regal in your brown, well apart form the finger of course.

Polyester Princess said...

What a fabulous dress and it really suits you. Why ever was it in the land of forgotten vintage? Then again, I've got quite a few forgotten items too ... Will go and have a good rummage in the Christmas holidays. xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

It's a beautiful dress and what a lovely rich colour! I love the metallic design on the skirt and the sparkly brooches on the bodice. A fab handbag as well.

Hope the weather's not too awful - we've had high winds and rain but it's not cold - weird indeed!

Beth Waltz said...

Here's a splendid example of 70s glitz and glam,



































Luscious chocolate colors and all the basics -- velvet, brocade, sleeves!, and a satin belt -- for a maxi ensemble to wear to a 70s drinks w/fondue holiday gathering! Nothing twee to see here!

Those brooches are exactly right for a dress this sophisticated; a necklace would be too much with the buckle.

Hmmm. Now for the most difficult question. What outer garment does one wear 'neath a brown glamour dress with a patterned skirt? In a gale?



Goody said...

@Mim
I think posh chocolate sounds much nicer. I hope the storm misses the UK entirely-awful timing with people travelling.

@Vix
When did they start naming storms like hurricanes? It sounds awful-fingers crossed that she misses you.

@Miss Magpie
But not a brown finger. Ew. sorry I live in a house full of boys and their humour has worn off on me.

@Ann
I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

@Veronica
I suppose it is better than a metre of snow, but still...

@Beth
I wore my long 70's leather coat, but if I had someplace smart to go, I'd wear my fur.
I feel like my hair needs a roller set to really wear this dress correctly.

Radostin said...

Oh, this dress is wonderful! I love brown, it's quite special to have such a glamorous garment in such a shade.

Goody said...

@Radostin
Thank you. I'm confident I won't run into anyone else on a supermarket run wearing one like it...unless Vix visits Nebraska (which I'd love).