Thursday, December 29, 2016

Out of Season, Out of Sorts


I'm going through a green phase.
 It started with perfumes. As soon as the temperatures began to drop, I couldn't get enough of the searing green notes. The current rotation on my perfume tray reads more like spring than early winter: Vent Vert, Ma Griffe, Corinadre, Innisfree, Knize Ten, Chanel #19, and believe me, if I owned it, I'd probably be wearing Aliage as well. I don't know what's going on with me, but I'm suddenly obsessed with fragrances that largely make me wheeze.
 I can hear my mother's ghost asking, "If you're so in love with mildew, why don't you go scour the shower?" I might just do that-the smell of Comet cleanser being appealing at the moment.

I'm not the only one that's confused about the seasons. Yesterday, Danny spotted a bird that should have migrated away months ago, and today he saw a variety of hawk that lives on the Mexico/Texas border. If you're not familiar with US geography, that's quite far away, and much, much warmer.

Mr. ETB's birthday is coming up, and when I asked what sort of cake he'd like, he replied,"Lemon crunch cake." That's an out-of-season cake if there ever was one.
 Outfit Particulars:
1970's polyester maxi dress-Goodwill
Boots-Goodwill
Vintage bag-New Life Thrift
Bangles-both Goodwill
Ring-Can't remember
Jacket-Hand-Me-Ups
Earrings-New Life Thrift
Fragrance-Ma Griffe vintage formulation

Keeping with the green theme, today's cocktail is as out of season as my perfume (in the Northern hemisphere anyway)

                                                                       Mint Julep
3 ounces bourbon
4 sprigs fresh mint
1 lump sugar

Crush 2 sprigs mint in a julep or highball glass. Rub the inside of the glass well, and discard. Fill glass with crushed ice. Add bourbon and 1 oz of water in which sugar has been dissolved. Do not stir. Garnish with mint sprig.

What about you? Are you craving out of season food/fragrances/etc? Anyone ever bake Hot Crossed Buns in September?




9 comments:

Beth Waltz said...

A floral maxi, a mint julep, and a party in somebody's basement tiki bar -- the perfect antidote to winter in this hemisphere!

Oddly enough, I have been sniffing Chanel 19 hereabouts. (One of the few fragrances I can identify.) When it's Muguet du Bois, I'll be "looking 'round corners" to see The Aunts.

ThriftyParka said...

Ooooh! I adore that dress!! Those earrings you're wearing look like vintage Coron- the pearly green bits look like their thermoset. Careful with those. I find the cold dry air makes the glue all brittle, which makes the glue holding the thermoset crack. I've shed a few tears when I noticed the thermoset missing from a necklace or two.

Haha! I'm wearing green today! It's my favourite colour!!!

Happy thrifting ;)

PS. You look amazing. Now go scour that shower! Hee, hee.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...


Goody - you look gorgeous! I love your maxi dress and the jacket is glorious. All your accessories are fabulous; I really like the ring. In fact, your outfit is very Spring like so very in keeping with your out of season feeling at the moment.

Thanks to you I now know how to make a mint julep and furthermore what a mint julep actually is! Bring on the saddle shoes....

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Polyester Princess said...

You can't go wrong with a green dress in my book, and that maxi is so fabulous I might have to steal it from you. Nothing wrong with a bit of spring fever! We are experiencing our first cold days here in Belgium - although in your eyes it might be quite mild - so my feet are well and truly planted in winter for the moment. Nevertheless, I guess I'll be craving my spring and summer wardrobe soon ... xxx

Bibi Maizoon said...

Ummm....being the California girl that I am I think that 'out of season' fragrance & clothing are the only things that would get me through a midwestern winter!

Is it menopause or what? I really didn't care for BIG WHITE FLORALS until about 2 yrs ago but now I'm obsessed with owning & wearing every one on the planet. Except for Fleurissimo. Egads, I am turning into my mom.

Love that be-daisied maxi & make mine a Mojito!

Goody said...

@Beth
I have two vintage bottles of Coty Muget du Bois, but I haven't indulged...yet!
We're gonna party in the Rumpus Room :)

@Thrifty Parka
That is really good to know! I'm going to heed your warning and save the thermoset for summer. Thank you!

@Veronica
You can make a mint julep with whisky too-I prefer it to bourbon.

@Ann
Freezing cold is worse if you're not used to it. Bundle up in those beautiful winter coats and berets of yours and stay warm.

@Bibi
I think we all turn into our mothers to a degree. I can't handle Fleurissimo either. I'll make you a Mojito but you'll have to come here to have it.

Sue said...

Stunning frock that one love. If I could I would send Lemons to you, we have a few left on the trees. Have you ever frozen lemons so you can full fill those out of season requests?

Vix said...

The only mint julep I know is the band who did an ace cover of my fave Neil Young song, Only Love Will Break Your Heart, years ago!
That dress is fabulous, so pretty! xxx

Mim said...

That maxi is wonderful!

Lemon crunch cake looks like it will be good at any time of year. Don't get me started on out-of-season hot cross buns, though - supermarkets are already selling them over here and it is WRONG. Not to mention ones made with chocolate chips; that's not a frigging hot cross bun! Rant, rant, grizzle, grizzle.

I'm gonna look at that maxi again to calm myself down, it's a sight for sore eyes.