Monday, September 19, 2022

September Morn

 

I might not go for all the Pumpkin Spice stuff, but I sure do love Halloween Season attire. Let's be honest-I wear this stuff all year, but it feels more appropriate once we cross the threshold into September. I am not able to wait until October! The Halloween candy is already in the stores, but we never get more than a few Trick or Treaters. That won't stop me decorating with the items I've acquired over the years, though I don't know if I will buy any large pumpkins to carve this year. Arthritis and pumpkin carving go together like insurance and stitches and as I've already had that experience once this year, maybe the Jack-O-Lantern will have to be a pass this year. UPDATE-I bought pumpkins but won't be carving them.

Spotted this lovely little skipper on my evening walk. In a few weeks the "butterfly bushes" (Buddleia) turn pink and attract all manner of moths, butterflies, and bees. They're planted all around the college next door and the dorms, bringing together the benefits of a plant that's drought resistant and easy for humans to care for, and late blooming pollen for the insects. We haven't had many butterflies this year, but skippers and moths have been abundant.

There's still Day Lilies blooming. That's strange as they're typically done by early July. The tiniest fly is hanging out on it. 

The pines are coming along as well. They smell so good after warming in the sun.

Nearly time to harvest the sunflower seeds. Can you see them? UPDATE: the seeds were harvested, dried and after portioning out some seeds for next year's garden, I soaked, brined, drained, and roasted the rest. We came away with several pounds. This is the first year I've got to the seeds before the birds and squirrels. Not to worry, they get plenty of other things to eat.

 

When Dan noticed he was wearing a shell suit, sitting in a squat, and eating a plate of sunflower seeds he laughed, grabbed the Ukrainian flag, and insisted I take a photo. Note the Belgian and EU flags in the background. He's still planning to go to school abroad next year, and the application process is just starting. It is an exciting time.

There's still plenty to look at in nature during the late summer. Autumn gets all the attention, understandably (who doesn't love vivid coloured leaves?) but the end of August/start of September has much to offer on a walk.


Sorry Squashbug, I don't have anything for you this year. It was on a sunflower leaf, so maybe they can eat those as well? It was strange not having a garden this year (beyond a few perennials) but I also don't miss the frantic harvesting of tomatoes before an early frost. Watch, this year it will stay warm until December!

 

So...

After one too many mornings trying to deal with what's left of my hair falling out, and attempting to hide it with creative combing, I did this. 


 It is very short. I'm pleased with it, though when the weather gets cooler I can look at a wig as I don't expect it will grow back any better. For now though, I like it.

Rugby shirt in Dan's school colours. They don't have a rugby team. If they ever start one though, I've got the kit!

Nothing here you haven't seen before, though the haircut does make it look different. I love that beaded belt.

The jacket here is new to me-my first Armani found in the wild. It is nicely  made, but worth the sort of money they demand new? I guess if I had that kind of money, I'd think about it. Someone has to buy the stuff for it to end up in the thrift stores barely worn for people like me :)


People like me that will wear it with a child's tee shirt that say's. 'K, BYEEE
The skirt is vintage Gitano from the 80s (maybe late 70s?)

And my well loved Valdrome bag. I almost look "normal" until you read the shirt!

But normal is definitely not the vibe I want to project.

This silk dress has a matching jacket, but felt like a bit too much for daywear, so I kept it simple and carried a macrame handbag to dress it down a bit.

Finally getting to wear all those small earrings.

We had one cool day, so I dragged out this 80s Albert Nipon wool suit for a first wear. 

The light was bad-the colours are much deeper and darker.

Autumn accessories.

Considering it was the era of giant shoulders, this is a very wearable suit. The back of the jacket has two ties to adjust the waist as desired. The front of the skirt has the tiniest cigarette hole (you can tell by the shape it wasn't a moth) but I guess that makes it even more 80s. I can't believe we used to smoke on planes, in cinemas, supermarkets, etc. Don't smoke, kids.

I was surprised to see how much money Albert Nipon pieces are selling for online. I'm going to guess that's 80s nostalgia kicking in, not scarcity. His stuff was everywhere. Leslie Fay bought the company in the 80s (after Albert was sent to prison for tax evasion) and then of course Leslie Fay went bankrupt. Still, I'd wager there's enough Albert Nipon clothing in thrift stores to outfit every woman in the US at least once or twice. Nice suit though. Not as nice as the Armani, but eh, whatever.

I would have bought this shirt if it wasn't gigantic.
I did not buy this either, as they wanted $2.98 for it. It wasn't *that* funny. 


 Nor did I purchase this. Colon, Nebraska (pronounced like the organ) is a tiny town of a few hundred people. Seeing the opportunity for a laugh, a cancer support organisation held a fundraising bike ride there to raise money for colon cancer research. Hence, rollin to Colon.

The thrift shopping hasn't been fruitful of late. I guess when I'm not really in need of anything, and trying to give things away, I'm more selective what I bring home. 

Nice mix of eras here with a modern shirt, 90s skirt, and Victorian belt and brooch. I bought the same skirt in black when I worked at Jordan Marsh in the early 90s. Little did I know I'd still be wearing them in 2022. The sides are elastic, permitting wear at a number of different sizes. I'm certain I wore this skirt whilst expecting.

Prettiest little book chain belt. Didn't ever expect to wear it as a belt, and was thinking of converting it into a necklace and bracelet set, which might still happen. For now, I have a nice belt.

Victorian opperculum shell brooch. Of all my Victorian brooches, this gets the most wear. Whenever I can't find a suitable brooch for an outfit, this will be the one I fall back on. It almost always works. Good to have a few reliable pieces like that. 

Again, nothing new here, but put together in a slightly different way.

This Alfred Dunner 90s skirt is timeless, and knows no season. Generally, Alfred Dunner clothes are for older women that aren't concerned with being stylish, but every once in a while I run across an interesting piece. My inner grandmother wants to wear it with a high collared blouse, circle brooch, and a Geiger boiled wool jacket. 

More Nipon! This time in an 80s silk scarf. Looks "normal" enough...
Ha! Fooled you. Yes, the dinosaur tee changes colour when you rub a hand over the sequins. I do recognise the risks of wearing this, but anyone that's brave enough to consider reaching for my chest should expect their hand slapped away.

Slowly accepting that shoes with good tread are a worthwhile investment. It pains me to give up the towering platforms, but I don't need a broken hip. Thirty Helens Agree, you can't pay too much for a good pair of shoes


Was flipping through an old cookery magazine from 1980 and came across this ad. They really oversold the idea that natural gas was going to be cheap. I can remember my parents building their house in 1978 and going with all gas appliances because they were certain it would pay off in the long run. 

Nothing new here either.







Big, old, sturdy Brighton belt. They're indestructible.

Children's cardigan from Target-also indestructible.

Various accessories. Pinky ring on bottom left is Jensen. Spoon ring on right is from 1933 World's Fair in Chicago and has the city slogan (I Will) on it. Earrings were purchsed when I was expecting, cameo is from the 90s and has a matching brooch, and everything else has been picked up here and there.











Finally, here's what I was wearing Friday before being absolutely flattened by a flu vaccine (I still encourage you to take the vaccine. What I got was nothing compared to what the flu would do).
I looked so nice. Little did I know what was waiting for me. I'm still in rough shape as I type on Sunday. Given my already fragile state it isn't surprising, but wow, I really didn't expect it. It is of course possible something else got me (I had a few mosquito bites recently so it is possible I have a mild case of West Nile, though I haven't gone for a test as there's not much can be done other than wait it out). I still wear a mask everywhere and use hand sanitiser, but I guess nothing is impossible. No fever though, so it probably was the jab. I have to go for a covid updated jab next week, which I will still do, but am going to block out some time for staying home in bed if needed.
Anyway, silk top and skirt were thrifted for a couple bucks, as was the de la Renta scarf which just works so perfectly here. I went with a pink silk/linen blend jacket because I love it and felt like I didn't wear it much this summer. The vintage handbag was also thrifted.

Doesn't that scarf look like it was made for the set?
Time for butterflies.

The metal is a bit stripped. I need to purchase some gold nail varnish and give it a touch-up. The bag is otherwise in good condition. 


I hope you have a good week.

9 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

I did a double take when I spotted your short haircut, and initially thought you'd combed in back. It really suits you, I think!
Loved the outfit parade which, as always, contains quite a few covetable garments, bags and jewellery pieces.
Dan's photo made me laugh and I love that he's still displaying the Belgian flag, even if it's vertically instead of horizontally :-)
Sorry to hear you were flattened by your flu vaccine. I'm going for my Covid booster jab next week and fully expect to feel a bit off for a day or two like I did last time. Hope yours goes well and you're not too sick. xxx

Emily said...

Your yard is looking really good, and that skipper is breathtakingly beautiful, like a photo straight out of National Geographic.

Dan is too funny. We're all going to miss his silly photos when he goes off to Europe.

I love how you paired the ultra-serious Armani jacket with a twee millennial shirt like it's the most natural thing in the world. The witty contradiction makes the outfit totally rock. Your new haircut is also really cool. It makes you look like a rock star with a badass reputation, and it's really nice to wear smaller earrings and not have them disappear.

The bookchain belt is amazing, and that all-orange outfit is a real stunner. Your thrift stores have the best stuff, I swear.

Sorry to hear you've been sidelined by the flu vaccine. Feel better soon and try not to worry if you can avoid it.

Beth Waltz said...

My compliments to Dan upon executing the gopnik/Slavic squat. Even inspired by sunflower seeds, not many lads his size could manage it!

Your new sleek haircut is also sooo European tough chic in the shot where you're holding that Albert Nipon jacket. Of course, the skirt has a cigarette hole -- she was probably smoking a Dannemann Sumatra cigarillo when the limo made a sudden stop. I do admire the black buttons linking the black top and those handsome shoes, and the cut of the paisley pattern to echo the fit of the jacket.

But the prize ensemble is the flirty silk animal print top and skirt "collared" by the de la Renta scarf! It's precisely the right pattern, color(s) and length. Your new coiffeur highlights scarves: we anticipate seeing more of them from your collection.

bahnwärterin said...

your new haircut is looking very cool and suits you! no need for complicated locks - you really can wear a very short cut.
when the cold strikes you can easily wear berets or pretty beanies - they work much better with short hair - which i learn every winter.....

i can see the orange-black tights as an unexpected sight under an elegant black 50´s skirt suit.
chic outfits as always - all the autumn hues suit you perfectly and its nice to have the rugby uniform at ready :-D
gorgeous shots of the little critters! i wonder that the buddleia blooms that late at yours - here they start in july and now have almost reach their end.......
ha - danny :-DDDD
much love! xxxx

Propagatrix said...

My beautiful friend, I am so sorry you’re feeling fragile. The short cut does suit you well; you have a very elegant head. Upvote for Kids in the Hall reference!

Sheila said...

Dan takes after his slightly-goofy mom, I see, ha ha! :) Love your chic new 'do! I've had super-short hair many times and I always enjoy how all my clothes look different with a cropped cut.

First dress: beautiful, love the off-the-shoulder cut. The rugby shirt reminds me of when they were hugely in style for a blip in the mid-80s. I just put an Armani (vintage, thrifted) blazer into my giveaway pile - I remember being SO excited to find it! The quality is amazing on the older pieces, isn't it? That denim skirt looks late 70s/early 80s to me.

I see quite a bit of Albert Nipon in stores here too. That suit is amazing on you, and I adore the leafy accessories.

I'm sure you knew this but operculum is the "eye" of tortoise shell. That's a very cool (and very old) brooch!

I snorted at your Thirty Helens! I was a huge HUGE Kids In the Hall fan back in the day - I actually saw them perform live c. 1993.

Your amber outfit is stunning, including that lovely scarf and "patchwork" bag. The belt buckle is a clock face!

Congrats on the flu vaccine (I just got my invite to book my Covid booster!), but not so much on your reaction. I hope you're feeling better! I love the outfit, and that scarf and pink blazer are so pretty with it.

Take care and have a great rest of your week!

Goody said...

@Ann
He has so many flags in his room he's running out of wall space to hang them correctly! At least it isn't upside down.

@Emily
I already have the bad reputation ;)

@Beth
Dan's gym teacher makes them do squats in class to get warmed up. Then, they move on to squatting with weights in incremental sizes. He's going to be a power-lifting meathead by the time the coach is through with him. PE is his fav. class! Definitely not something I can relate to. If anyone needs help moving house, he's your man.

@Beate
I took your advice and put on a beret as soon as it got cold. I do like how it looks. I'm discovering I need scarves now as my neck gets cold.

@Amy
Thank you

@Sheila
The shell can also be mollusk, though I'm not expert enough to tell which this is.
Rugby shirts seem to keep coming back every few years. I guess the Preppy look has some timeless appeal. The kids are all wearing loafers and white socks again.

Vix said...

Loving the new hair, you look fantastic. The new blouse with the fancy collar is bloody gorgeous, I'd have bought that like a shot! xxx

Señora Allnut said...

Lovely new haircut, you look chic and elegant and obviously comfortable. As a shorthaired girl myself, I can recommend berets and knit hats (even at home) and scarves as soon cold weather attacks. Wool can be itchy, so be careful!.
Love your Armani jacket and t-shirt ensemble, You Rock It!. Always love a funny tshirt with supposedly serious clothes.
And also loving your brooches and jewellery and bags, as usual!
Besos