Sunday, October 02, 2022

Especially When The October Wind

 It is indeed October, and there's wind. I live in Nebraska, there's always a roaring wind. We're still a few weeks away from "Frosty fingers punishing my hair" though. 

Here's something I saw...

What's your pathos taste like? Sometimes it is easy to see how products end up on the sale shelf.

 No pity here, at least not aloud .


Silly poses, of course. You don't wear a suede fringed skirt to stand all stiff like a statue. No, a skirt like this demands movement.
Some very old pieces from my collection. I have had the earrings since I was a student.
The bracelet is more recent, purchased this year. I wear it quite a lot. I believe it was a tourist item from Greece (yes, I know the bull rider is from the fresco at the Knossos on Crete).
There's another de la Renta scarf.

 I've been trying to keep the grocery bill down amid soaring inflation which has been challenging. When I came across tins of whole, small artichoke hearts being discontinued, I pounced. There's still two years left on the use by date, and these are really a luxury at a buck a tin. I bought fourteen. I have plenty of pantry space to store tins, so it would have been silly to pass it up.

I've already put some to use in a rich tomato sauce made with overripe tomatoes (on the discounted produce shelf at the grocer), capers, hot peppers, and garlic. I didn't have anchovies to make a putanesca, but I did have fish sauce-so I used it. I'm used to improvising when I cook, and with prices as they are I don't see that changing soon. 

Speaking of improvising, I made an almond meal, sugar-free cake for Mr. ETB. At the Jewish High Holidays it is traditional to eat honey cake (for a sweet year). There's no way he could eat honey with diabetes, so I baked what is essentially an almond spice cake that he could put a bit of agave syrup on a slice. Is it exactly the same? Of course not. But skipping the honey and white flour does create a perfectly good cake that doesn't leave anyone feeling excluded, and won't spike blood glucose. I made a regular honey cake for Dan, but he gave this one a try as well. I did a similar thing with the challahs. One is baked with Einkorn wheat (lower glycemic value, higher protein content) and one was regular strong flour. Each recipe made two loaves, so I froze some for the next holiday. I'm always happy to save time. 

Traditional potato kugel was given a makeover as well using frozen spinach, bell peppers, grated courgettes, dried onions,  carrots, eggs, and a tiny bit of rye breadcrumbs to hold it together. It baked and sliced perfectly. We haven't had many potatoes since the diabetes diagnosis, or white rice for that matter. This was nice, if different. It certainly added colour to a plate of slow roasted meat. I made two, freezing an unbaked one for next time. 

Happy New Year, Beet Poot. Fancy honey from Quebec, also on the sale shelf.
The table was set pretty. Bought the velvet pumpkins a couple years ago and of course the pumpkins and squashes that are edible will eventually be used (no wasting edible squash around here). At least squash has been affordable. 


 The front yard continues to bring me enjoyment. I'll bring the mums inside to over-winter when it gets cold. I will try leaving the one I planted in the ground heavily mulched, but I don't have much hope. Nebraska winters, even mild ones can be too much for mums.

Thumbs up and peace
The green skeleton glows in the dark as does the skull atop the pole. I've owned the skull about 35 years.
My neighbour a few houses down told me his daughter (about two years old) loves the decorations and comes by to say hello to the tinsel cat. That makes me so happy. During the first year of the pandemic when everyone was out walking as there was nothing else to do, I put a number of ceramic figures around the garden and would see children stopping to pet them.

I treasure Dan's paper plate skeleton made years ago.

Mystery weed growing in the garden. I'm not an expert on broadleaf weeds (I'm more of a spurge woman, myself) but if you know it, please tell me what it is. It hasn't seeded or tried to spread all summer so I just sort of left it. The ants seem to like it. UPDATE: someone on Tumblr said it is Curly Dock. I guess I really ought to get it out if that's correct. Dock is terribly invasive once established. People eat it, but from the description it sounds like a similar flavour profile to sorrel which I eventually got rid of. I like sour/lemon greens, but I'm afraid I'm alone on that. 

No idea where it blew in from as it is a weed more common to rural areas.

The butterfly bush just keeps getting better.

We had 100 degrees F. three days ago, then a day that was 50 degrees F. This time of year is unpredictable, but this has been extreme. 

Same, Ghosty. Same.

The lavender is from last Christmas. It began life as a mini topiary shaped like a Christmas tree. It is now 10X larger and happily growing in a protected spot. I will bring it in again this year. Our climate isn't good for lavender as a perennial. 

This isn't a suit, but the pieces were close enough that I *think* it works.
I do love a good vintage jacket with big lapels. The big brooch is Kenneth Jay Lane.

The acrylic polo neck is vintage too. I've sewn it back together more times than I can count. I do wear it a lot. 

Saturday before last we were up early to attend the health department vaccine clinic. This will be my fifth covid jab (I'm immune suppressed so I had an extra one back in March). All went well, and compared to the flu jab last week, this was easy on the reactions. I was a bit tired and sore Sunday, but otherwise fine. A giant THANK YOU to our public health employees who have to face such awful hostility, threats, and violence just to do their generally underappreciated jobs. The local health department is responsible for restaurant inspections too-but these idiots clamouring to get rid of the department should think about that when they go out for dinner. But they won't, because they don't think. 

Kilt is 70s vintage. Shirt is Kate Beaton. I bought it for Dan when he finished reading Moby Dick, but he's since outgrown it.

 

Very old sweater clip. I can't remember where I bought it.

This 70s dress felt so familiar when I bought it that I have to wonder if I owned it at some point in the 70s. Definitely my style. The original belt was missing and I can't say I like how this one looks, but it will do.

Had the perfect velvet handbag. The dress has a sort of brushed flannel feel to it.



Because our weather is erratic I also wore a chenille cardigan that came on and off through the day.
Staying with autumn looks...

did you catch a peek of my Halloween socks?




This poor bag is falling apart. I thrifted it about ten years ago, so I suppose I got my money out of it. It is vinyl, so hardly worth trying to replace the handles.

The Boden bird dress makes another appearance. I wear this one quite a lot.

Might as well make it a bird theme...

This bag from the 40s isn't falling apart. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

That's about it from here. Lots to do, not enough time to do it, but that's life I guess. See you later.







10 comments:

Emily said...

Dan's paper plate skeleton is beautiful and in such great condition! You must have stored it very carefully. Plus, I like how this is a waterproof decoration, which is an absolute must if it rains in October. I bet the neighborhood kids will love seeing it, as they do the tinsel kitty and figurines.

Thank you for telling us about curly dock. This weed grows all over my apartment complex, but I never knew what it was.

I love all your food photos and outfits. The Boden bird dress has always been a treat for the eyes, and I love how you accessorize it so smartly every time. It's a good thing you're so versatile with your wardrobe. With the unseasonably warm weather you've been having, that's a skill that's as practical as it is aesthetically pleasing.

If Pathos was sold here, my husband would surely buy himself a jar. He's a Greek classicist at heart, and he's been teaching his students about pathos, logos, and ethos for years.

Congrats on getting your jabs. I am trying to schedule mine now.

Vix said...

Your potato kugel looks amazing, it's 6.48am and I'm already salivating over it.
It's lovely that your neighbours appreciate your efforts in the garden. I love hearing the passing schoolkids squealing with delight at my craftism banners, wall-mounted clogs and massive sunflowers during lockdown.
The fringed skirt and the earrings you'd had since you were a student are fab. Those bull running bracelets would have been quite costly, they're from museum shops as opposed to the normal tourist places.
Glad the juab went well, we've got our booster on Wednesday! xxx

bahnwärterin said...

nobody wears autumnal fashion as gorgeous as you!!
me is totally trilled......
i´m glad your jab went smooth!
the garden deco is deliciously over the top and how sweet that the kids of the neigborhood love it. and now i understand the misunderstanding about butterfly bushes - you mean the perennial succulent - called "fette henne" (fat chick) around here - not the big woodsy bush buddleja davidii.......
yummy food and baking <3
xxxxx

Polyester Princess said...

Love the food (especially the tomato sauce and potato kugel) and your spooky decorations. As for your outfits, you could definitely have fooled me into thinking that WAS a suit. The big lapelled jacket is gorgeous, as is the brooch. I'm also loving the 70s dress and the Boden bird print one, and as always your accessories are spot on!
Glad to hear your booster didn't leave you with any nasty side effects. Neither did mine - which I got on Thursday - although I was fully expecting to feel a bit off on day 2. xxx

Señora Allnut said...

Lovely fringed skirt (obviously, fringe is made for moving, even dancing if possible!) and also lovely deep red 'suit', totally agree about good vintage jackets with big lapels!
Great to see you being sensible about food and sharing some recipes. The prices are increasing ridiculously here too, so I appreciate some common sense and good ideas!.
Love your plaid skirt and cute t-shirt combo, love your autumn coloured outfits and love the Boden dress with matchy bijouterie!. Your accessorizing is always brilliant (in every possible meaning!)
besos

Hena Tayeb said...

Lol.. i love love you poses! And I love all those gorgeous pieces of jewelry. Beautiful outfits.. you have a great sense of style. How can I get a slice of that almond cake?

Beth Waltz said...

My Yiddish has evaporated, so I'll wish "an easy fast" in English. At least that's what I think we were saying to the nice people down the street who owned the little movie theater with the shoe repair shoe in the "corner door".
Your recipe substitutions are inspiring (but I'm surprised you have no anchovies on the shelf). Me, I ate Honeycrisp apples. Close enough?

It's all about the bags this time. That black basic from the 40s and the sumptuous velvet that snuggles up to the brushed flannel dress and chenille cardigan are as elegant as your new clipped coiffeur!

Beware the yellow dock. It's bad for horses and cows, and the blasted thing spreads like poison ivy on an outhouse door (exactly where it's not wanted).
However, my great-grandmother Sarah would tell you that the spring shoots are edible -- and that the root (chopped & brewed) will clear your bowels.


Sheila said...

What fun decorating! I like your beet poot (?) on the table - it's deliciously weird-looking.

Sigh, I just love your clothes. The fringed skirt, the De La Renta scarf, the bold gold jewelry. That red two-piece does match exactly - I would have believed you if you'd said it was a suit. I've had a few pieces of Kenneth Jay Lane. I used to have a sweater clip that was my mom's - it's disappeared, though. I love seeing all your fall colours! You have an amazing bag collection!

Miss Magpie said...

I love the paper plate skeleton and the whale t-shirt. The red two piece look like they belong together what a lucky find.

Anonymous said...

I like your kilt especially with the teeshirt . It brings this classic garment in to modern life. I went thrift store shopping today and thought of you when I saw a couple of kilts on the vintage rack. Not as nice as yours though and certainly not my size. The thrift store has just brought out the winter merchandise. I did find a couple of Talbots black turtlenecks.they are always useful.

Best Wishes,
Gail from PA.