Friday, June 29, 2007

An Unlikely Combination


As I've been up to my ears in cherries (and really, how many pies can you eat?) I thought I'd try them with goat cheese, mushrooms, shallots and herbs on a pizza. I didn't think of it until after we'd eaten, but the preserved goose in the confit would have been delicious on this as well. The cherries were intended to provide a bit of sweetness, as tomatoes typically would. It was tasty; though it would have been much better had I used decent goat cheese. As it was, this brand wasn't exactly cheap, but the depth one expects with goat cheese just wasn't there.

I also used a generous amount of thyme, rosemary and oregano in the pizza dough, which worked well. I don't think I've ever used the same pizza dough recipe twice. This one did not have any olive oil in it (flour, yeast, salt, sugar, water and herbs) and it came up very thick and doughy. It was a nice change from the cracker-thin types I've been making of late. It reminded me a bit of the hand-tossed pizzas we used to get in the North End of Boston before the neighbourhood became gentrified. And yes, I do recognise the irony of someone who made a goat cheese and cherry pizza railing against gentrification.

Anyway, my point is that fruit on pizza should not be limited to pineapple. Now I'm wondering if any of those salted preserved lemons would work well with tarragon and feta? Maybe next week.

No comments: