Monday, April 30, 2012

Maple Steelhead Trout

Sometimes, I take for granted that everyone knows (more or less) a variety of fish preparations. This one is particularly good for pink-fleshed fish, and works as well under the broiler as it does in the pan. You can leave the fish to marinate all day, but I find that an hour or two is adequate.

You Will Need:

1-2 fillet of trout (or salmon, etc.)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon smoked salt, divided
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon neutral salad oil (I used sunflower)

Butter to cook

Place the fillet in a shallow pan. Combine everything except butter, and whisk well. Pour over fish, and leave to marinate in fridge, skin side up (is it just me, or does, "skin side up" sound like a good name for a naughty movie?).

To cook:

Heat a heavy frying pan (I used my trusty cast iron) over medium heat and melt about 1 tablespoon of butter per fillet. Place them in the pan, flesh side down (see, that sounds even worse than "skin side up"...I can't win) and cook about ten minutes each side until done. The fish should develop a lovely carmelised colour from the syrup.

I served the fish with roasted beets, brown rice cooked in stock and onions, a salad of rocket and spinach, and Struan bread toast points.

No comments: