Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Depression Era Chocolate Brittle

We both liked this OK, but next time I'd make it with chopped up baking chocolate-not chips as I interpreted the recipe to mean. I have no idea if bagged chips even existed in the 30's. Basically, it is like an elaborate chocolate bark with a crunchy centre. I had difficulty getting it out of the pan. If I made this again, I'd line the pan with parchment.

You Will Need:

3 cups chocolate bits (I would just chop up semi-sweet chocolate) divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter

Place 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate in the bottom of a shallow 8x11 pan. Place in a 350 oven for ten minutes. Remove and let stand a few minutes, then spread the chocolate evenly over the bottom. Set aside, but keep oven on.

In a small pan, combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and water. Stir constantly until dissolved. Boil until mixture is brittle dropped in water (300 degrees F). Remove from heat, stir in butter. Pour in a thin layer over the melted chocolate. Cover with remaining chocolate bits. Return to oven for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven, and spread as before being careful not to press chocolate into the brittle. Let stand until firm. Break into irregular pieces. About 2 pounds.

No comments: