Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Fried Cous Cous


I had quite a bit of leftover cous cous, and some deep frying oil that was ready for one last use. So I deep fried my leftovers.

*Thumbs pointing at self*

Yep, that's what I did. The boys really liked them, but then who wouldn't? I deep fried cous cous for crying out loud.

I make my cous cous with generous amounts of spice and dried fruit, so the dark bits you see in the photograph are raisins. There's apricots and mint in there too, along with some toasted fennel seed and preserved lemon.

Your amounts will probably vary depending how much you have leftover. Go by feel with this recipe. if the mixture holds together, you're good. I'll post what I used, but feel free to adapt it.

You Will Need:

4-5 cups leftover cous cous
4 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
2 cups shredded Swiss and Munster cheeses (or whatever you have that melts well)
Flour for dredging
1 large egg, well beaten
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs for coating (regular dry breadcrumbs are also fine)
Oil for frying

Re-heat cous cous until steaming hot. Transfer to a large, heatproof bowl and add the butter and cheese. Mix well until everything is melted together. Let cool to lukewarm. Beat in the three eggs, one at a time. If the mixture is holding together well after two eggs, or seems too wet, skip the last egg. Mix well, and then chill several hours, or at least two.

In a small bowl, place about 1 cup AP flour. In another bowl, beat the egg. In a shallow bowl, place the breadcrumbs. At the very end of this assembly line, place a plate ready to hold the finished balls.

Shape the mixture between your hands into balls, or patties, or whatever shape you prefer. Dip them in the flour, then in the egg. Let the excess egg drip back into the bowl and then roll in panko crumbs. Repeat until all are done. Chill your balls (heh heh, I said "chill your balls! I'm a teenaged boy! Ha ha!) , uncovered until ready to fry, or at least half an hour (Mine waited an hour).

Heat about 3 inches of cooking oil in a large, heavy pot until it reaches 375 degrees f. Watch the heat top make sure it doesn't get too hot. Fry the balls a few at a time being careful not to crowd them ("dude, don't crowd my balls") until deeply golden coloured. Drain on a metal rack set over a baking sheet. Serve hot.

No comments: