Wednesday, January 23, 2008

No Husband Of Mine Will Go Without Pickled Eggs


I only wish he hadn't waited nearly fifteen years to tell me he likes them. I should have figured, but until he saw them mentioned in one of the new (old) cookbooks, I hadn't a clue. Well, early this morning I set about correcting this absence of pickled eggs from our lives. I ended-up following the suggested spices in From Amish And Mennonite Kitchens, though they didn't mention sterilising a jar. That's just me. I'm sure the vinegar would be a hostile environment for bacteria growth, and we're going to eat these in a couple days, but I'm neurotic about food safety. Trust your judgement.


Easy? Oh yes, indeed it is.


You Will Need:


1 sterilised jar

1 cup beet juice (I opened a tin of beets)

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

5 whole cloves

1 cinnamon stick

1 large onion, finely sliced

6 hard boiled eggs, cooled and shells removed

1 cup + white vinegar


In a sauce pan, cook the beet juice, sugar, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and onion until onions are soft and syrup has thickened a bit (it should just barely coat the spoon). Drain, reserving liquid. Cool everything completely (I stuck the liquid in the freezer and the onions in the fridge for about 15 minutes). To the liquid, add one cup of white vinegar. Place eggs and onion/spice mixture into jar. Cover with liquid, topping off with additional vinegar if needed. Allow to cool additionally in fridge uncovered (just in case) and then seal when you're sure it is cold. Ready to eat in half a day, and lasts up to four.

No comments: