Monday, January 07, 2008

Pineapple Chutney


I seem to be on a chutney kick lately. I bought a whole pineapple because it was absurdly cheap and each day it ripened I imagined all the wonderful things I could make with it like THIS, or THIS, or THIS or THIS or, even THIS. Of course, I've done those, so I improvised a chutney. I was serving curry tonight anyway, so it was perfect.


This recipe does not make a large amount (I got two small jars) which is good as I'm not canning it. Because of the fresh pineapple I would recommend using it within a week-ten days tops (smell it first).


You Will Need:


1 chopped onion (red would have been nicer if I'd had it)

1 tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup cider vinegar

2 cups chopped pineapple

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (you can reduce this if you desire less spice)

1/4 cup sultanas

1/4 cup currants

1 clove garlic, minced


In a heavy saucepan, combine everything and bring to a boil. Then, reduce to a slow simmer and cook the living daylights out of it. Mine went close to thirty minutes-you'll need to watch it, but it should cook down to the point where there is perhaps 3 tablespoons liquid left. From time to time, you can use a fork to break-up some of the larger pineapple chunks, if you wish. You don't want to crush all the liquid out of them, however.


Cool, cover and keep chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.

No comments: