Thursday, January 03, 2008

Popovers


I cannot make a decent Yorkshire pudding to save my life-it's a fact. My mother could, but she never bothered to teach me how. There's today's lesson-ask your mothers for their recipes today. Anyway, where I fail with Yorkshire pudding (oh no, I refuse to call it "pud") I excel in popovers, even without the fancy specialty pans. I'm glad my husband likes them so much as they are easier than baking bread and healthier than biscuits (at least the biscuits I make with a cup of cream and ½ cup of melted butter). The entire batter can be made in a food processor or blender, which makes it all quicker to prepare).

You Will Need:

2 eggs
1-cup milk at room temperature
1 tablespoon melted butter
1-cup flour
½ teaspoon salt

Butter muffin tins or popover pans generously and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. with the rack in the lower third position. Combine everything in the bowl of a food processor and mix well (about ½ a minute) scraping sides once or twice. Pour into the cups to half full. Bake for 35 minutes (small pans) 40 minutes large pans. Don't open the door to peek or your popovers will be "popovers."

No comments: