Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gefilte Fish From The Freezer Case


I never knew gefilte fish could taste this good. Seriously. The stuff in the jar? No more. From now on I'm buying the frozen loaf from Ungers.


The fish comes frozen and wrapped in a sort of parchment. You toss it in a large pot of boiling water with two sliced onions, four carrots and some salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, simmer it for an hour and before you know it the house smells like your grandmother's-without the mothballs and mildew. OK, maybe a little mildew, as we have quite the home library.


I didn't think Danny would like it, but he tore into it like it was cake. The seasoning mixture was sweet, but it also had enough horseradish/pepper bite to balance it out.


Every year I look at the fish grinder (the old kind that hook onto the counter) and think about making my own gefilte fish. I'm pretty sure I'll never bother-at least not as long as this wonderful frozen fish is available. Honestly, it was nothing like that sickening stuff in the jar. I can see buying this year round-it is too good to only have during a holiday.


The rest of dinner was pretty simple-chips, sour cream and some beets.


No comments: