Sunday, April 06, 2008

Science Fiction, Copper Mining and Struan Bread?

I'm pretty sure today's hit from Flin Flon, Manitoba was my first ever from that city, and they were looking for Struan bread. Funny how recipes go around the world, isn't it? I know they have roads and electricity and even internet connections but it is hard to avoid the mental image of some miner baking bread over a campfire-and cursing the poppy seeds getting all over the campsite...er...kitchen.

The history of Flin Flon is sort of interesting, the city being named after a science fiction character. I gather they have some tourism these days as well.

Struan bread, huh? Seriously, I just do not understand why people love that bread (my family included) as obsessively as they do.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

When I was a kid Flin Flon was my favourite place in the world. Never been there, but I loved the name...

Goody said...

My understanding is the place is a resort area like Banff.

Maybe we should have the husbands babysit at home and we can go.