Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Rosemary Grape Focaccia



I've made this before HERE. I'd add the caution that mine only took twenty minutes to bake this time so the original recipe calling for 1 hour is dead wrong. I've made this often enough now that it never takes more than 40 minutes, max. Keep an eye on it.


I still have no idea what to do for dinner but I'm thinking some corn and peas tossed with sour cream over pasta? Sure, that's a bit carb-heavy but it's what I have in the house and I won't be eating it. Heh.


It is getting more difficult to come up with anything creative to cook/bake while I'm still feeling ill. Maybe that accounts for returning to so many old dishes lately-the familiarity thing.


In other news, I did my Passover shopping. Yes, we just finished Lent and Easter and now my inter-faith family is getting ready for Pesach. Anyway, I bought 5 lbs. of plain matzo, two boxes of egg matzos for Danny (though truthfully, he's probably better able to tolerate the regular stuff than we are) a couple tins of matzo meal, and a frozen gefilte fish-instead of the slimy stuff in a jar. What? You didn't think I was going to make my own did you. Oh no, I don't think so. I do own a fish grinder from my mother-in-law...but no, I have to draw the line somewhere. I was happy to find the frozen fish-I hope it turns out to be good.


And that's pretty much it. I don't buy many mixes and most of the pre-made candies have nuts, so everything gets made from scratch around here. What usually ends up happening is we eat a lot of cheese, potatoes and eggs, which is fine. My sorrel is just coming up in the garden but unless we get a burst of warmth and sunshine I don't think I'll have enough for schav-even with seven plants. Oh well.


The first of our herbs are seeded and sitting in sunny windows (did the rosemary and sage first as they need more time than basil and parsley). In a couple weeks I can sow the early flowers and my goodness, if that doesn't make a person feel better, nothing will.


No comments: