Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tofu With Yoghurt, Cumin, And Other Good Things


Extra firm tofu was on deep sale last week so I stocked-up. Usually, I deep fry it in oil and then stir-fry it with vegetables marinated in sesame oil and black bean garlic paste. Not the healthiest way to use an otherwise good-for-you food, so I looked around the "internets" for something new to try.


I had serious doubts about THIS recipe-but I was wrong. It was probably the best tofu I've ever made. I didn't grill it, but it did fine in a frying pan. I served it with some sauteed carrots and red pepper and basmati rice with raisins. Danny (my vegetarian son) devoured it, and even my carnivorous husband put a serious dent in the platter. I don't have much leftover.


At first glance, olive oil, garlic and yoghurt seem an odd mixture, but the cumin and garam masala really bring it together well.


Next time, I might try baking it, or possibly firing up the grill. I'm still not able to really eat, which is disappointing as I really liked the flavour of this dish.

No comments: