Friday, July 06, 2012

Green Fish Curry

Due to allergies, I'm unable to use commercially produced green curry paste. Making your own isn't difficult, and it does permit control over the level of heat from the chillies. If you are able to consume the type in a tin, this will be an even quicker meal to put on the table. I made the green curry paste a day ahead. It makes quite a bit, so I froze the remainder for later use. I have not tried canning it, so I can't offer advice for that method-it would be pretty low acid, so it must be pressure canned. This recipe isn't even close to traditional.

For the Green Curry Paste:

Chopped green chillies (I used a small tin of chopped jalapeƱo)
4 tablespoons chopped red onion
5 large garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh ginger
1/4 cup fresh coriander
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (ideally, you'd use fish sauce if allergies aren't an issue)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lime juice
4 tablespoons coconut milk
1 tablespoon lemongrass if you have it (I didn't)
1/2 teaspoon ground dried coriander

Mash it all together. I used a chef's knife, and like when I make pesto, chopped until I had a paste. You can of course use a mortar and pestle, a food processor, etc. You don't want a puree, so don't overwork it if you use an electric appliance.

For the Curry:

1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 tablespoons of the green curry paste (above)
2 lime leaves (Available at Asian markets, or if you know m, and live local just ask and I'll bring you some from my tree)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 cups thin coconut milk (I diluted mine at about 1:1 You can use it full strength, but it will be rather rich)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (or fish sauce)
2 lbs. Cod cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the curry paste, and cook over medium heat 2 minutes. Add lime leaves, lime juice, coconut milk, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer about five minutes until thickened. Add fish, reduce to a simmer, and cook slightly covered about 8 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. Stir in the fresh basil, and serve hot over spiced rice.

For the Rice:

When boiling water for rice, add 2 tablespoons raisins, 1 cinnamon stick, and a pinch of cloves. Cook as usual.

No comments: