Friday, August 10, 2007

Lemon Poundcake


A few weeks ago I purchased a brand-new springform pan with a patterned tube attachment at the thrift shop. I've been eager to use it, but nothing really came to mind. Finally, I found a use for my two-dollar bargain.

I used the zest of two lemons but you could easily substitute lemon extract, lemon oil, or really any flavour. The recipe is simple (you probably have the ingredients on hand) but you must follow the directions and use some sort of electric mixer. You do not want to attempt this cake by hand.

I topped mine with a simple glaze and some pearl sugar. At serving I may drizzle it with lemon liquor (that I made, thank you very much) or the blueberry/lemon syrup from last week (there's just enough left). This is also an excellent cake to cut horizontally in half, hollow out and fill with buttercream, or ice cream, and then frost the outside. It takes to freezing quite well.


You Will Need:

1-cup butter (unsalted)
2 cups caster sugar (dissolves better than granulated, which you want when creaming with butter)
5 eggs (yes, I know-it is indeed a large number of eggs)
2 cups flour, sifted
Grated zest of two lemons

Cream the butter and sugar together until very fluffy. You want the sugar completely incorporated so that it is no longer granular. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the zest. Fold the flour in slowly, in small amounts. Spoon into a greased and floured pan (springform, bundt, tube, etc.). Place in a COLD oven and set to 350 degrees. Bake one hour or until cake tests done.

No comments: