Friday, August 10, 2007

Sea Salt and Pepper Crackers aka Pie Crust



Another disappointing recipe from the current issue of Gourmet. Cracked Pepper and Sea Salt crackers sound great, until you make them and realise they taste exactly like pie crust. I should have figured; Crisco, cold water, salt and flour-that's my basic recipe.

It did get me wondering if you could make these by brushing prepared crusts with olive oil and doing the salt/pepper bit. There's a contest at the State Fair that requires the use of refrigerated crusts-I'll bet it would work. If any local readers want to steal the idea, go for it. I don't think I'll be leaving the purified/cooled air of my home until the first frost sometime in October.

I'm probably being a bit harsh about the crackers; the boys seemed to enjoy them. Served with a hearty soup, or chili even, they could be a nice soft, flaky addition. I guess the crust is my least favourite part of a pie anyway-something I view more as an edible serving piece, in much the way that I wouldn't eat the bread bowl soup is served in.

No comments: