Saturday, September 22, 2007

Breaking The Fast Apricot Noodle Kugel


There are as many noodle kugel recipes as there are bakers-this is the one my family likes. I was able to use some of the apricots I froze earlier in the summer and they filled the kitchen with the sort of wonderful smell you don't get from tinned ones. I'm really going to be sad when my frozen fruit supplies are diminished.

I should note that this is quite a heavy kugel. You could lighten it up calorie wise by using egg less noodles and fat free cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.

You Will Need:

2 cups broad noodles, cooked and drained
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon melted butter
¼ teaspoon salt
1-cup pineapple cottage cheese
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup raisins
8 poached apricots (if fresh or frozen) or straight from the tin, diced
2/3 cup cinnamon sugar (or regular sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix everything together in a bowl, pour into a greased 2-quart casserole dish and bake 35-45 minutes until nicely browned. Serve hot or cold.

No comments: