Thursday, September 13, 2007

Using My (Homemade) Noodle

These noodles do not require the use of a pasta machine-just a skilled hand with a rolling pin. I expected them to be rather heavy given the eggs and cream, but surprisingly they were not. I boiled the noodles in beef broth( as I was serving leftover beef) for about fifteen minutes but this may vary depending upon the thickness of your noodles. This recipe is adapted from the New York Times Heritage Cookbook.

You Will Need:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
3 tablespoons heavy cream

Sift the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and cream. Stir with a fork to make a dough.

Cover and let it rest ten minutes.

Knead the dough until smooth adding flour if needed.

Roll out very thin on a floured surface. Cover with a cloth and let rest 30 minutes.

Roll up the dough from the long side and cut into one half inch pieces. Unroll noodles and allow to dry on racks for at least two hours (mine went closer to six, though I think they would have been fine after two). The rolling-up part did not work well for me, so I just cut them flat and lifted them off gently with a sharp thin knife.

Boil in broth until done.

No comments: