Friday, September 07, 2007

Technical Difficulties-and Tarte au Sucre

We ditched the dial-up in favour of satellite. At the same time I finally gave Windows the boot and am running Linux (a two year old version, but hey it was free).

I'm not sure how my Kodak stuff will work with Linux (if at all) so it might be a while before photographs are back. At present, everything looks too large and out of proportion in Mozilla, making it difficult to read. I'm sure in a week my eye will adjust to the differences (and I'll get my settings in order). Meanwhile, bear with me please.

Early this morning I baked the Tarte au Sucre (Sugar Pie) and we tried it late this evening. It is quite sweet (my husband says it is exactly like pecan pie, without pecans) and to me it tastes like caramel. I wouldn't want to eat more than a small slice of it, but it is enjoyable.

This is a very simple recipe requiring very little skill. Just keep the filling moving in the pan as it cooks and you'll do fine.

You Will Need:

2 cups brown sugar
6 tablespoons flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pastry for 1 9 inch pie*

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan mix everything but the nutmeg and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Cook two minutes longer until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in nutmeg. Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden.
* This is traditionally made with a double crust but I opted for cut-outs on mine (It is a Canadian pie, so I put the old maple leaf cookie cutter to work).

No comments: