Friday, February 22, 2008

Journal Star Of The Sea Tilapia


Danny is responsible for the imaginative name of tonight's dish. The recipe came from the Journal Star, which you may find HERE, but for the longest time, me wee one has called the paper "The Journal Star Of The Sea." I've asked why, he can't seem to find a reason.

I rather like it, sort of like "Our Lady Star Of The Sea" without all the statues and candles (that was the parish church in my neighbourhood and it did overlook the sea (or the Chelsea side of the harbour anyway) and it was quite a lovely place. They used to leave it open all night until the time they found some fellow passed out in a pew covered in puke, and losing betting slips from Suffolk Downs strewn about him. After that, they started locking it at night to ensure that no one might seek refuge in a church when they hit bottom (!?). I don't think this is the reference Danny is using as he's only three and we moved, what, oh gosh seven years ago (insert comment about how time flies when you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield swatting at flies from the neighbour's cattle). Anyway, I think the name is charming and the paper ought to consider adopting it (it would fit in nicely with Nebraska's imaginary "Navy"). My, but I do tell long, roundabout stories don't I? Oh yes, fish, we were talking about the fish recipe at the Journal Star (of the Sea).

I made a few changes to the dish but they were very minimal. I skipped the peanuts and added parsley.

I served it with one of my better cous cous recipes, which follows at the bottom. The recipe makes quite a bit which is deliberate-I prefer it second day after the flavours get a chance to hang out together in the fridge (hey, you have no idea what goes on when the refrigerator light goes out. Talk about "food gone bad").


Yes, the photo is lousy. What? You're first noticing my lack of photography skills?



Cous Cous With Dried Fruit And Everything Else

You Will Need:

2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 1/3 cups cous cous
1-tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chopped roasted red pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried minced garlic
¼ cup sultanas
1/8 cup chopped dried apricots
¼ cup raisins
1 tablespoon chopped crystalised ginger
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch of dried mint

Simmer everything except the cous cous for about ten minutes until fruit is plumped. Bring to a boil. Stir in cous cous, remove from heat and cover. Let stand ten minutes. Fluff with fork before serving. See, I told you it was simple.


No comments: