Friday, July 18, 2008

Alice Waters Whole Wheat and White Bread


I didn't hate the bread, but I can't say I was won over either. The instructions are unbelievably fussy and poorly written (if I need warm water, list it in the ingredients, not halfway into the recipe). Sure, the loaf is pretty, but so are many of the other breads I bake. Half a cup of whole wheat flour does not a wheat bread make. This is essentially a light loaf that uses a couple tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter like most home style breads. I suppose what really annoyed me was that it only made one loaf. If I'm baking bread, and heating the oven I want at least another loaf to freeze for my efforts.

The recipe comes from Fanny At The Chez Pannisse and was re-printed in The Best Of Food And Wine, 1995.

If you really want the recipe, I'll send it to you via email, but I just don't think it deserves a post-it isn't anything special or terribly different from my regular white/wheat loaf.

No comments: