Sunday, July 27, 2008

Peach Jam


In hindsight, I should have made these as a slow cooked jam, but feeling lousy, I went the pectin route. As you can see, the fruit floats to the top a bit because it never gets a chance to really cook. I'm hoping this will result in a very fresh, bright flavour. It's not really a tragedy-you can stir it down when opening it, but I guess I had something else in mind. Actually, I probably had peach butter in mind. Oh well, maybe next year.

Over the past three days I've made four batches of apricot jam-so we're set for quite some time. Or, at least until my mother-in law's birthday in October as she's already expressed a desire for more of the jam we sent her. I think I can spare half a dozen jars-since I made an absurd amount.

That's really the best part of making jams and jellies-giving them away. There's nothing you can buy that even comes close and the happiness it brings people makes it worth the effort of putting up an extra batch or two for sharing.

I expect a lull now until the tomatoes come in full-force. Then, another lull before apple season. I might can some currant or Concord grape juice before the season is over, but I don't have anything else planned. Well, planning is a lousy way to go at things anyway-particularly if you're an impulsive apricot purchaser.

You Will Need:
(makes 8 half pints)
1 quart finely chopped peeled, and pitted peaches
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pouch liquid pectin

In a large pot combine fruit with lemon juice. Add sugar and bring to a boil slowly stirring until sugar is dissolved. When peaches reach a full rolling boil, add the pectin and bring back to a full rolling boil. Stir constantly for exactly one minute. Remove from heat, skim foam, and ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rim and threads clean and seal with a heated lid. Tighten screw band fingertip tight and process in a boiling water canner for ten minutes. let cool five minutes in the canner before removing. Let cool 12-24 hours. As always, if you're cannig for the first time, please visit the USDA website for detailed information regarding food safety and proper preparation of utensils.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up, we had a Gravenstein apple tree, Santa Rosa plum tree, Pear and Apricot trees.

Mom used to make apricot and plum jams. Num!! (Esp the plum, for me.)

Goody said...

California really is paradise. I can't grow squat here.

I did some red plum jam this year, and some plum sauce, but I'm really wating for the prune plums later in the season.

BTW
The peach recipe works with pears as well-if your tree gives you a bumper crop this year.