Thursday, July 03, 2008

Kill The Wabbit

I bought a rabbit today. Cleaned, and frozen, but still. I have no desire to eat it, I'm only moderately interested in cooking it, but I know my husband will like it. I realise rabbit in cream with homemade noodles isn't exactly traditional 4th of July fare (unless of course, it were cooked on an outdoor grill) but I'll bet the colonists ate more than their share of bunny burgers.

My first impulse was to get out the pressure canner and preserve bunny foo-foo in a jar. You could probably do a confit, and preserve it in a good layering of lard or goose fat. I don't think I'll do either-at that point you might as well do a confit of squirrel brains (actually, don't do that-they carry some horrible disease. The rest of the squirrel is OK, but stay away from their tasty, tasty brains).

I wonder how breaded and deep fried pieces of boned rabbit would work as a pizza topping? I'll bet that's never been done.

No comments: