Sunday, July 13, 2008

Blueberry Cobbler



I really dislike summer, but I sure do love blueberries. Thinking about it, they are probably what makes this miserable season tolerable.

This recipe is from the New York Times Heritage Cookbook (aka, The Big Blue Cookbook), but I changed the spices from a large quantity of cinnamon to vanilla, lemon zest and nutmeg. Cardamom would be nice as well. I have no reason to think cinnamon wouldn't be lovely-I just don't care for it with blueberries-particularly in-season sweet ones. Maybe with frozen it would make more sense.

The cobbler is very soupy (which I prefer to heavy and gloppy) and although the recipe calls for a nine inch pie plate, I would caution against it. I just barely avoided disaster in a spill over. Use a larger pan and play it safe.

You Will Need:

2 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
3 cups blueberries
1 teaspoon plus three tablespoons cooking oil
Grated zest of a lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup whole milk
Whipped cream (I sweetened mine a bit with sugar and extra vanilla)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Mix the cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan. Add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, zest and blueberries.

Turn berry mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with the teaspoon of oil. Sprinkle on the nutmeg.

In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the remaining oil to the milk and pour at once into the flour mixture. Mix until it comes together in a ball.

Top cobbler by the spoonful with batter and bake about twenty minutes or until dough is nicely browned.

Serve warm with whipped cream.

No comments: