Monday, January 26, 2009

The Doldrums

Mr. Eat The Blog has been reading The Phantom Tollbooth to Danny each evening as a chapter book. The idea of being stuck in a geographical place called "The Doldrums" has really delighted Danny and for Days I had to listen to :

"People who don't pay attention often get stuck in the doldrums, Mama? Mama?! Are you paying attention? You don't want to get stuck in the doldrums!"

Well really, who wants that? So I grabbed an empty plastic jar with a lid and labeled it:

Anti-Doldrum Liquid, Apply Generously.

Guess who has been having a grand time pouring invisible anti-doldrum liquid on my head? Yeah, I'm just going to stop buying him toys altogether. Today, I gave the kid a bunch of fabric remnants cut into odd shapes, and he spent a couple hours playing with them. Did you know a piece of blue fabric makes a good lake for toy boats?

Anyway, I am still dealing with some illness that is keeping me away from the kitchen (yeah, again), and in bed more than I'd like. On the bright side, I'm nearly finished with the king sized embroidered quilt I've been working on for years, and I have been able to pass the time watching the retro television station (hey, that DTV converter box works great. We only got about three stations before). Danny is making sure I don't get stuck in the doldrums-so overall I would say we're all doing pretty well.

In other news, I'm going to be switching to a different computer that runs Linux and until we figure out a good way to get the computer to read the camera software, pictures might be scarce. It is always such a pain making switches like that, though when I've run Linux in the past I've been pretty happy-I'm sure we'll figure this out. Probably a good time to work on it as I'm not posting much these days.

No comments: