Friday, January 09, 2009

Lamb, Day Two

I made pita bread today and deliberately made them large for wrap sandwiches. For Mr. Eat The Blog's dinner, I sliced the lamb as thin as possible. In a small pot I heated 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon ground cumin. I made a paste and cooked it over medium heat for about a minute and then added 2 cups of beef stock, 4 thinly sliced shallots, and some black pepper. I added the lamb to the pot and then simmered it for about twenty minutes. I served it in a pita with yoghurt, leftover cous cous, and hummus made from chickpeas, olive oil and a generous amount of lemon (no tahini). Sort of like a Middle Eastern burrito, but not quite a shwarma either.

Tomorrow, I plan to make a few batches of lamb curry to freeze in individual servings for future lunches. I'll probably get a couple pot pies and some Scotch broth out of it as well. I should mention that Mr. Eat The Blog is the only one eating all this (though he took some to work to share with someone today) so freezing meals makes sense (he does not need to eat six pounds of lamb in a week. He could, but i won't let him).

3 comments:

jini said...

i puzzling over where you live...i'm thinking you must be between kearney and hastings?

Goody said...

I'm in Saunders county.

I like Kearney and Hastings though! Want to take a road trip?

jini said...

aha......i pictured further west from some comment you made.