Thursday, January 08, 2009

Roast Leg Of Lamb


Well, it claimed to be boneless, and tied-it had a bone and was not tied. That's OK, it was still a lovely cut of lamb. I went and bought the other one today-it is in the freezer.

Mr. Eat The Blog enjoyed it and even shared a bit with our elderly little poodle. It's funny, the damn dog won't come when he's called, and spends most of his day sleeping beneath the sofa trying to pretend we don't exist, but on the rare occasions when there's a roast in the oven, I suddenly have nine pounds of fluffy white fur following me around the kitchen wagging his tail, panting and trying to be my best friend. Funny, eh?

I followed THIS recipe, although I skipped de-glazing the pan because Mr. Eat The Blog isn't really a gravy person. I served it with vegetables, a cous cous made from saffron and dried apricots, and the bread. I expect it will turn up through the week in various curries, pot pies, and soup. I'll save the other leg for Easter.

It took much longer to cook than I expected, but I played it safe and cooked it to 175 degrees F. I know Mr. Eat The Blog prefers his lamb a bit pinker, but I really didn't feel comfortable with that. It was still incredibly moist when carved.

No comments: